warning pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I need to connect a cwsc and hwsc warning pipe to the bathtub overflow manifold. The problem is i can not give the the warning pipe a continuous slope. The closed coupled toilet gets in the way so i have to run it inbetween the toilet cistern and the pan outlet then go up 5 inch before i can connect it up straight to the bathtub overflow manifold. I consulted the WRAS website and they do not mention anything about warning pipes slopes. Do you think that it is feesable just to go up 5 inch??......i mean should the cwsc float valve fail there would be no risk of the water to go back up the warning pipe and back into the cistern anyway. At the moment the warning pipe sticks out above the bathtub but as this friend of mine wants to redo his bathroom, he would like to get rid of that pipe which quite understandably is not very pretty to look at. Your professional comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
One thing that jumps out at me is, that by 'dipping' the run of pipe you will create a trap. As it is a warning pipe, and will not get frequently flushed through like a basin trap etc, you may well end up with standing water.

Standing water equals stagnant water equals smell.

Thanks Charnwood for your answer. That is a very valid point however, i will bump into that situation only when or if the water in cwsc overflows and if that happens i will cut the overflow pipe, let the stagnant water run out and couple the pipe back......i am just trying to think of a solution to the point mentioned by you....which as i said i hadn't thought of. Thank you very much. Anyone has any other ideas please.

If your friend is redoing his bathroom, will he be retiling? You could cut a channel into the wall behind the cistern; or if the cistern is side inlet, why not direct the flow into it? It will have an internal overflow on the siphon.

Sponsored Links
Hi Beerlover i do not understand what you mean about the cistern being side inlet.....the toilet cistern has got an internal overflow so i can not connect the cwsc overflow pipe up to the toilet inlet overflow pipe if that is what you mean. Cutting a channel out behind the toilet cistern could be an option actually, though i was thinking of something less time consuming. Thanks for your valuable input ;)

Hi Beerlover i do not understand what you mean about the cistern being side inlet
Where is the ball valve/ball cock/float valve/inlet valve fitted onto the cistern, side or bottom?

...............but i still can not understand what the toilet inlet has got to do with the cwsc warning pipe :confused: I am certainly missing a point there...can anyone explain to me please?

I think Beerlover was suggesting running the warning pipe into a side hole in the cistern.

Unfortunately that is not an option. I think that i will have to go with Beerlover's suggestion........run the pipe at the back of toilet cistern...........or what i could do is to advance the toilet forward and run the warning pipe behind the cistern without having to cut out a channel for warning pipe, screw a plank of timber in the wall behind the cistern to fill the gap and tile the piece of timber....what do you think guys, would it look a crappy job?

I wish that I understood what this is all about.

My bath does not have ny warning pipes at all!

Hi Tony do not go and answer the phone when you are running the water in your bath :LOL:

Thanks to everyone for the valuable inputs on this thread.....your pieces of advice have been much appreciated.

Hi Tony do not go and answer the phone when you are running the water in your bath :LOL:

I generally take showers or very rarely economic baths at about 150mm depth.

If I am called away then I turn off the filling water. Very inadvisable to leave anything running water unsupervised!

If I was to stupidly leave it filling it would then run out of the overflow into the drain.

So what exactly does yours do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back