overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. A friend of mine lives in a block of flats and cw and hw to bathroom and hw to kitchen is fed by two cisterns situated in a kitchen cupboard. The cisterns are fitted with two overflow pipes that join together then the pipe runs through the kitchen wall into the bathroom and leaning over the bathtub. He wants to do up the bathroom and would like to run that overfow pipe elsewhere rather than having it leaning over the bathtub, unfortunately there seem to be no other place. I know that if there is any water overflowing you must be able to see so that you can address the problem................have any of you got any clue about where i could reroute it please. Thank you in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
If it's only cold water, drill a hole through an external wall and poke it out.

If it could potentially be hot, i.e cistern feeding a cylinder, try and poke it out low level going all the way to the ground or something.

Hard to say without seeing layout of the flat.

You could also run it into a nearby waste pipe.

If it is the system overflows from plastic tanks, then they can go directly outside.

But if this was easily achievable, it would have been done in the 1st place. Chances are the tanks are in the middle of the flat and external walls are not easily reachable by a gravity pipe. Such things would not be approved nowadays.

I suggest you consider putting them into tundishes and theafter to a trap leading to the bath waste or similar. If you site the tundishes in the tank cupboard that would be a neat solution.

Hi John506 and Simond and thanks for your replies. Simond you are spot on..............the external wall is quite far away and i can see no overflow pipes sticking out of other flats' external walls.1) The tundish is a good idea but then if the discharge pipe i am going to use ( bathtub one) to connect the tundish pipe into gets blocked, the dirty water will come up the overflow pipe spilling over the tundish and flood the place :cry:. To avoid that i could probably make sure that the position of the tundish is placed above the spill over level of the bathtub so that if the discharge pipe gets blocked the dirty water will not reach the tundish :idea: Now, this flat is very awkward because the overflow pipe of next door flat joins my friend's overflow pipe. So the neighbour's overflow pipe will be teed off in my tundish pipe and my overflow pipe will be cut just 1/2 inch into the tundish........what size tundish pipe shall i use?? 22mm or greater in order to accommodate both pipes?? How do i connect the tundish pipe to the 40 mm bathtub waste pipe? Sorry for the length of this post and thank you for taking the time to read it.

Sponsored Links
Hep V O waste valves come with a tundish adapter :idea: you won`t get any backflow through one of those ;)

Hi Nige F and thanks for the reply. I have used the Hep v o valves for wash basin but never to accommodate warning pipes. I do not think the membrane will open when there is a trickle of water coming from the cw cistern warning pipe. I searched on the web and i found out that there exists a bath waste and overflow manifold which i think will do the job and sounds quite a clever devise. Has any of you guys ever used one of those?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back