Was just about to buy a new storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have just finished decorating and need a new storage heater. I was just about to buy a new Dimplex XLS12N Automatic and I was thrown off by some information on the website I was buying from.

It said "This meets the requirements of Building Regulation Part L1, which requires all electrical storage heaters installed in new buildings
to be fitted with automatic charge controls"

Its saying I need a automatic charge control installed? Is this just my radio teleswitch that turns on the power to the plug?

There was a storage heater installed there but was a manual one and not sure if the automatic requires anything different

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
as technically you 'charge' storage heaters, i see that as a time switch.!!

The "automatic charge control" is built into the heater.

It stops the heater taking in electricity once it's got hot enough. This is determined by what you set the 'input' dial to.

Some smaller, older heaters didn't have an 'input' dial. Those are now non-compliant for new installations.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that info. All I need to find now is a socket where its not a 3 pin plug. You know the ones where the flex goes straight into the switch. They are actually hard to find. None in B and Q wickes or Homebase!

Thats what I want, but with a neon indicator! Just been back to B&Q and asked this time and they said they havnt got any lol Had a look myself couldnt see any. Its a huge B&Q warehouse too. Trying Wickes again tonight.

Thats what I want, but with a neon indicator! Just been back to B&Q and asked this time and they said they havnt got any lol Had a look myself couldnt see any. Its a huge B&Q warehouse too. Trying Wickes again tonight.

MK 5423 then here

B&Q should be able to find it if you quote EAN: 5017490329677 at them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back