Was no hot water now its hot water no radiators ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Finally sorted out the no hot water issue in May this year - a plumber replaced the immersion cyclinder thermostat and the Honeywell V4073a 40003916-003 acuator head. So stopped using immersion heater and elec bill went down loads. Good News!

Bad News! Now perfect timing for winter and only 5ish months later still have hot water but the radiators that were working last week have now completely stopped. Problem started with loads of gurgling noises where cyclinder, pump and acuator are in the airing cupboard.

I bled pump and radiators, and the little screwhead on the cylinder pipe where loads of air came out .. and the radiators came on a little (I thought I was so clever) but then they went off again. Pump seemed to stop.

Just to confirm I put CH timer on continuous and turned room thermostat to 30. Still no Central heating.

Pump does seem to be working as if I turn cylinder thermostat up to 70 then the pump starts.

I have read loads of forums about this but have totally confused myself - sorry!

Are there any things I could test to see what the fault is?
I have no means of testing electricity.

As there is plenty of hot water (timer comes on twice a day) then is it simply the acuator not working properly for CH?

I paid for a Honeywell one - although the one fitted does not have the logo or sticker on it like the old part. Could it possibly be a cheap replacement that had failed?

Any suggestions welcome ... but please write in the style of those books "for dummies" please!

I have Glowworm space aver MkII boiler; Grundfos pump; Honeywell acuator V4073a, Honeywell timer; Honeywell lounge thermostat; Cylinder/immersion tank with thermostat at 60; .

thanks
stressedmum

Sponsored Links
It would be useful to know, have you been able to get the central heating going at the same time as the hot water is being heated ?

In other words with the pump and boiler running to heat the water can you get the radiators hot ?

Thanks for helping me!

No its not. I left the CH timer on continuous all day yesterday and even when the hot water timer came on twice the radiators didnt.

That makes me suspect either the Ch timer isn't switching ON properly, or there is a problem with the room thermostat.

Does the room thermostat make a click when turned right up and down?

As both these carry mains voltages I think you'll have to get someone in.

Sponsored Links
It could also be the actuator isn't working. The motors do pack in from time to time.

You can push the lever on the side to move it over manually (it can be locked in position) and get some of the hot water flowing around the radiators.

Did you check the header tank has water in it?

All these simple tests are covered in this site's FAQs.

Tony

Sounds like the actuator head was changed and not the whole valve.

www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/honeywell-40003916003-v4073a-replacement-powerhead-p-86.html

They are £65 and yours was exchanged for a compatable one for £37, despite you asking for branded one!

Perhaps the actuator main body valve has has just got stuck, as that was not replaced at the time and is old.

All the past work was really to save you money if the replacement head worked. As the plumber wouldn't have had to drain/refill the system etc. But as I suspect, the valve itself is worn/crudded up.

If your ok about it, turn power off and remove the silver casing to the valve and watch the workings when power turned back on. Get someone to switch termostat down and up in the lounge, you should see the small motor whirl away and try and move the valve head. If not then call the bloke back who tried to save you some money and say it didn't work :D

Be careful of course with the exposed live when exposing the silver cover. Replace, with electrics back off again.

Thanks all, I looked at the FAQ and followed question 10:

- increased cyclinder thermostat from 60% to 70%
- Put value into the locked MAN/open position
- turned HW back on

and the radiators are warm again when HW on.

So sorry I think these are my last questions :oops:

I think this means the acuator head is faulty and needs replacing or at least the motor in it?
Or could this still mean that the value is stuck for CH - and therefore a complete motorised 3-way value is needed plus a drain of system required to fit (ouch this sounds sooooooo expensive)?

Yes, that does sound like a failed motor or head.

Simple job for anyone working on heating systems.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back