Wash Basins In Salon - Low Flow rate issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's my first post so here goes.

I have been tasked with solving a low flow rate problem in a salon. The problem is that 2 wash basins have to be provided with sufficient hot water to cope with 2 basins for around 15 minutes each, sometimes simultaneously. The basins have mixers for hot & cold blending plus flow/ on/off.

The current setup is that a ZIP instaneous water heater has been fitted to an existing basin with 15mm copper pipe in and a 1.5M run of 15mm copper pipe out to the basin. The basin is about 6 inches lower than the ZIP heater's output connection. The problem is that when water is drawn off the supply from adjoining business's the flow drops and the water gets too hot naturally and the heater cuts out. I am told that the incomming pressure is 8 bars.

My first summation was that the pipe diameters are too small and should be increased to 22mm.

I designed a solution whereby a 22mm pipe feeds into a 25 gallon coffin type header tank through a float valve with two 22mm output pipes, one feeding 2 HYCO IN95 instantaneous water heaters and the other tank output is feeding the mixer valves direct. This provides a means of mixing water to attain the right temperature. Due to space constaints the tank is placed 1M above the heaters and in turn 1.6M above the spray heads. This gives us a 1.6M of head I believe. All piping is via 22mm Speedfit plastic pipe and fittings.

I thought this would be enough to give us sufficient head and flow but this proved to be wrong so I have installed a 1.5 bar NABIS twin impeller shower pump from PlumbCentre between the header tank and the heaters, thus drawing water from the tank and pumping it up 1.2M to the heaters to the heaters.When the water leaves the heaters it travells back down to the mixer taps at the basins. The pump is at ground level so has a head of 2.5M from the tank. It's a cheap and crappy pump in my opinion but I needed to keep costs down. I think I need to change it for a 2bar Salamander or something like that.

This has improved the situation so we have a flow rate at the spray heads of 4 L/min. The problem I have now is that the client informs me that after 15 mins of running the water gets cold because the heaters are cutting out. I have not witnessed this but believe this to be the pump which is not man enough for the job since it's designed to run for 20mins in any one hour. The pump is an induction type motor and is a centrifugal not a regenerative type.

Should I use a twin impeller still or can I use a single impeller and feed the basins and the heaters through the same line?

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. :(

Sponsored Links
what flow rate have you got at the mains? it sounds like (after skimming through your post)that a 24kw combi will do what you want, you need to fit a pressure reducing valve and the 15mm pipes are more than adequate to feed a couple of wash hand basins. as said all depends on you incoming flow rate.

ps I dont think zip water heaters are designed for continious use, could be wrong on this.they are also probably throttled back to give any sort of flow rate.

AFTER reading your post properly I would go for an accumulator and a small unvented hot water cylinder if you have the space(and the budget) or you could pump an unvented cylinder from your break tank but you would need a better pump.

Sponsored Links
AFTER reading your post properly I would go for an accumulator and a small unvented hot water cylinder if you have the space(and the budget) or you could pump an unvented cylinder from your break tank but you would need a better pump.

Yes I think a power increase on the pump is what is required. At the moment we are too far down the line to go fitting new cylinders etc. Really I'm only using the pump to deliver water to the heaters at the right pressure and flow rate. I'm not sucking water from the heaters as would normally done in a conventional shower arrangement.

Please see image.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/mediaseller/BASINS/BASINS.jpg

Any more suggestions would be helpfull

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back