wash/dryer keeps blowing fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have a problem thats been going on for awhile maybe someone can help. i had 2 sockets both was running from the same circut but thru 2 differen't spurs.. meaning 2 wires running from the same circut going to 2 differen't spurs and from there 1 wire to a socket feeding washer/dryer 1 wire to a socket feeding fridge. and the then the 2 spurs were junctioned together. but once in 2 weeks the fuse blew. so i figured maybe the load (dryer washer fridge) is to heavy on 1 13 amp fuse. .. so i split them up.. meaning the junction between the spurs and the 2 wires at the main circut (so the 2 sockets have thier own (32 amp) circut and again after a week the fuse blew... any ideas????

P.s the run from the main is only about 1 meter so i dont think i really need a ring main..

Sponsored Links
I don't quite follow how your stuff is currently wired.

Any chance you could do a quick diagram in MS paint or something?

first, your fridge only takes probably 100 watts during operation.

second, the fuse blowing might be to do with the loading on the circuit. What other appliances were you using on this circuit when it blew?

ok ill TRY TO EXPLAIN IT BETTER,,

THIS IS HOW IT WAS WIRED!! 1 CIRCUT (32 AMP) 2 WIRES (2.5MM) RUNNING OUT OF IT WIRE 1 RUNNING TO A FUSED SWITCH (WITH 13 AMP FUSE IN IT) FROM SPUR GOING TO SOCKET THATS FEEDING WASH AND DRYER

WIRE 2. RUNNING TO SECOND FUSED SWITCH 13 AMP FUSE IN IT. WIRE RUNNING TO SOCKET THATS FEEDING FRIDGE.
SO 1 CIRCUT HAVING 2 WIRES GOING TO 2 DIFFEREN'T FUSSED SWITCHES (I GUESS IT WAS MENT TO BE A RING MAIN WHEN IT WAS WIRED AT FIRST) AND THEN THE 2 SPURS WERE CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER AS WELL...

NOW SINCE THE FUSE (13 AMP IN 1 FUSE SWITCH) KEPT ON BLOWING THIS IS WHAT I DID

I SPLIT THE 2 WIRES AT THE MAIN SO EACH WIRE HAS ITS OWN 32 AMP CIRCUT AND I TOOK OFF THE CONNETION BETWEEN THE 2 FUSSED SWITCHES.. SO EACH SOCKET HAS ITS OWN 13 AMP SWITCH RUNNING TO A 32 AMP CIRCUT!!

P.S I MEANT A FREZER NOT FRIDGE

CRAFTY. THE CIRCUT IS ONLY FEEDING THE WASHER N DRYER THRU A 13 AMP FUSED SWITCH.. IT WAS FEEDING THE FREZER AS WELL BUT I SPLIT THEM... ANY IDEA? THANKS

Sponsored Links
thats correct.. "2" 32A MCB with 2x 2.5mm² wires > to 2 separate FCUs > 2 separate sockets

well i checked many times im almost positive that it only feeds these 2 sockets.. (now they only feeds 1 socket each) so you wanna tell me that the FCUs are making the problems?? so i should just take them out? and what about at the main? should i put both wires on 1 mcb? it was like that before i changed it and it blew as well. or maybe is it the FCUs thats making the problem?

sorry about that i just thought it was easier to read for some.. LOL...

OK, I missed that very vital piece of info regarding you splitting them to separate MCB's. That is very dangerous, a single length of 2.5mm² cable is only rated at 27A at the very most, so switch off both MCB's immediately and make note of all the sockets/FCU's that are dead. Reconnect the 2 legs into a single 32A MCB.

Then do as I said regarding the removal of the FCU's, and wiring it back into a ring circuit - preferably replacing the double socket feeding the washer/drier with 2x single sockets.

well i'm gonna fix it.... just 2 double check.. from main 2x2.5mm wire running from 1 32A MCB as a ring main to 2 sockets DIRECTLY (NO FCUs) Feeding frezer dryer and wash machine?

when i started having the problem it was wired like that but only there were 2 FCUs in between.. so what was wrong with that?

QUESTION why would it be dangerous to run a 2.5mm from a 32A mcb to a Fcu n from there to a double socket?

boratonpurim said:
just 2 double check.. from main 2x2.5mm wire running from 1 32A MCB as a ring main to 2 sockets DIRECTLY (NO FCUs) Feeding frezer dryer and wash machine?

That is correct - a number of single socket outlets instead of doubles would be best.

boratonpurim said:
when i started having the problem it was wired like that but only there were 2 FCUs in between.. so what was wrong with that?

The problem was you had 2 high power appliances (washer and drier) connected to a single 13A fuse within the FCU. IF all the cables are 2.5mm² there is no need for additional FCU's within the ring as long as the appliances still have their moulded plugs with integrated fuses..

Oh, and if I can give one last bit of advice... before you attempt any more electrical work, please seek advice first. What you did to solve the problem could have made things a great deal worse.

i get it so i take out the FCUs and make it back to a ring main so the 32A MCB will be able to feed all 3..

p.s a 32A MCB should be able to handle a washer and a dryer!!

your punctuation and formatting could be better davy..

I was about to moan at you for suggesting that 2 x 2.5mm²'s in a 32 is any safer than a single 2.5mm², until I realised that the next paragraph then said to connect them in a ring...

should really have been a comma and then continue with the information..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back