Washer screw corroded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water tap to my bath has reduced to a trickle so I'm trying to change the tap washer. I've got the tap valve out, but the cross-head screw holding the washer is corroded and when I tried to unscrew it the screw head just crumbled so the screwdriver was just going round, with no purchase. Can anyone advise please.

Sponsored Links
Pliers. Unless the washer has fallen to bits it's unlikely to be causing that trickle problem. Or have the innards unwound themselves too far?

Pliers. Unless the washer has fallen to bits it's unlikely to be causing that trickle problem. Or have the innards unwound themselves too far?

Thanks for replying. No, the washer doesn't look too bad, although it's flush with where it's seated, and I assumed that a new washer would stand somewhat proud of its seat and would do the trick. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if the innards have unwound themselves.

An old washer will be grooved from the tap seat, old or new won't sit too proud of the carrier. 'Unwind'- the brass chunk that moves the washer is usually connected by a fairly coarse brass thread to the tap body. It's sometimes possible to turn the tap off so far that you reach the end of that thread & the tap will hardly open (or more often won't shut off).
Re your knackered screw- cheap tap then. Pull the old washer off, if you're lucky the thread will be intact enough for you to wind it out with the pliers. If not then leave it there, see how secure the new washer feels with just the thread holding it on. Or go shopping for a new tap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. When I got the valve off and looked at the washer I couldn't see any grooves on it (i.e. the face of the washer) but perhaps you mean the sides of the washer round its circumference? I did notice when I took the valve off that the internal thread that the valve goes into was green in some places, so maybe I need to clean any limescale etc from there? I don't think it was a cheap tap ... it was installed when the bath was put in, 39 years ago and it's the first time it's caused a problem. I'll try what you suggest and pull the old washer off and see if I can get the screw out with my pliers. Thanks again for your advice.

Or a tap refurb kit, basically a complete new innards plus handle. Best to get a pair so both hot and cold match.

The groove when a washer is worn, is at the large face, the side which faces down inside the tap.
Thanks for the info and your advice.

The hot water tap to my bath has reduced to a trickle so I'm trying to change the tap washer. I've got the tap valve out, but the cross-head screw holding the washer is corroded and when I tried to unscrew it the screw head just crumbled so the screwdriver was just going round, with no purchase. Can anyone advise please.
Do you mean the tap ,when turned on fully ,only gives a trickle of water ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back