Changing a tap washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to change a bath tap washer . I have took the top of tap and the retaining screw what you need to take out is so tight and I do not what to round the head messing with it. Is there any tips on how to get this loose without damaging it and having to change the taps ?

Sponsored Links
A good adjustable wrench!

May be worth spraying the headgear assembly with penetrating oil.

Is it a single bath tap or a mixer?

Don't use a wrench! Use a ring spanner to avoid stripping the head. Make sure it is the right size. I use a short peice of scaffolding tube over the spanner to get extra leverage. If it still wont budge you could try some 'crack it' spray. You could also try applying some heat with a blow torch, but you have to be careful not to damage the chrome/gold finish on the tap!

I've been doing wrong all these years!

My Bahco adjustables seem to manage very well.

Sponsored Links
I've been doing wrong all these years!

My Bahco adjustables seem to manage very well.

You havent been doing wrong mate! I use my adjustable most of the time as well! But when it wont budge and it looks like i'm going to damage the head i get the ring spanners out ;)

It is very likely to be brass Philips Screw ,good quality screwdriver will unscrew that with no issues

Stanley Fatmax or Wera ,a small tap with a hammer whilst trying to turn the screwdriver also helps to shock it into moving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back