washer won't stop filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washer won't stop filling, even when shut off. The only way to stop it is to shut off cold water faucet leading to washer. Is there some kind of valve I should be replacing or maybe just the cold water hose?

Sponsored Links
Washer meaning washing machince??? Language gap I suppose :D . Sounds like a failed inlet valve on the washing machine side to me. Manufacturer service job i'm afraid or a washing machine repair man if its not still under warranty.

Registered Gas Man said:
Washer meaning washing machince??? Language gap I suppose :D . Sounds like a failed inlet valve on the washing machine side to me. Manufacturer service job i'm afraid or a washing machine repair man if its not still under warranty.

No need.corgiman's almost certainly right in his diagnoses methinks.It could also be a bit of grit or somesuch in the valve not allowing it to close properly.You probably still have to replace the valve though and it's well within range of the average DIYer.
The valve is usually visible if you take the top of the machine off,it's usually held on by just a couple of screws.It will have a couple of wires to it probably and maybe a couple of pipes as well.You may find that it will be all one unit,ie the hot supply valve is all part of the same 'lump' as it were.Before touching anything though also make sure the electricity is off and it may have 240v going to it somewhere.To replace it is usually just a matter of a couple of nuts/screws and a couple of hoseclips.
Good luck!

mikeh2000 said:
Registered Gas Man said:

No need.corgiman's almost certainly right in his diagnoses methinks.It could also be a bit of grit or somesuch in the valve not allowing it to close properly.You probably still have to replace the valve though and it's well within range of the average DIYer.
The valve is usually visible if you take the top of the machine off,it's usually held on by just a couple of screws.It will have a couple of wires to it probably and maybe a couple of pipes as well.You may find that it will be all one unit,ie the hot supply valve is all part of the same 'lump' as it were.Before touching anything though also make sure the electricity is off and it may have 240v going to it somewhere.To replace it is usually just a matter of a couple of nuts/screws and a couple of hoseclips.
Good luck!

no danger of 240, america's supply is 120 and they dont have hot water for their washers, only cold, also , americans favor toploaders so the valve will be at the back.

Sponsored Links
oops,didn't notice that little stars and stripes. :oops: Should have really as my wife comes from Phoenix Arizona!

Do make sure that there is a fine filter fitted inside the hose where it connects to the machine. Its not having one of these filters that lets the small bits of grit in to cause the problem. Also make sure the inlet pressure is as HIGH as you can get. ( its this pressure that holds the valve CLOSED ). Not what you would think but that is the case.
Low water pressure + no filter = leakage....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back