Washing line on flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a flat roof that we can access via a door. We want to put washing out up there.

There are walls we could attach poles too, but the bricks here are very poor, and the mortar is pretty much dust. So we are looking at alternatives.

Could a rotary be installed in a concrete block, perhaps? Does anyone make weatherproof drying racks we could tie down to concrete blocks?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is the roof ok to walk on? Or is the access just fire escape?
Really you should have handrails.

Bear in mind that a parasol base will load the roof, possibly beyond it’s design.

It's okay for walking in, it was designed for that. I'll post a photo tomorrow when it's light, but there's not much to see.

@jj4091 in that URL you pasted, everything after the "+outdoor" can be deleted and it will still work, if you want to neaten your post up a bit..

jj4091, maybe, but the walls are not very robust and tend to crumble when you try to drill anything into them, so I'd rather have something freestanding.

1710493762382.png

The wall in the distance is next door, connected to another flat roof which is a garage. This part was build by the previous owner who was a builder, for his wife to sunbathe on, so it's okay to walk on.

If it was me Id make something out of timber joists

but make the base 'cross' about 2.4m long

bir21_feet.jpg

Seems like the neighbours are in for a treat. Anyway, I would look at something like this, I believe you can get various sleeves/adapters that will allow you to fit the washing line post snugly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schneider-Plate-Stand-for-Slabs/dp/B004EWGOMI?th=1 Find some paving slabs for free off Marketplace. If the flat roof can't take some paving slabs and wet washing the builder was lying ..... but builders never do that right.

Last edited:
Seems like the neighbours are in for a treat. Anyway, I would look at something like this, I believe you can get various sleeves/adapters that will allow you to fit the washing line post snugly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schneider-Plate-Stand-for-Slabs/dp/B004EWGOMI?th=1 Find some paving slabs for free off Marketplace. If the flat roof can't take some paving slabs and wet washing the builder was lying ..... but builders never do that right.

Thanks, that looks like it could work for us. Maybe with just a pole and a retractable washing line, attached to the near wall. It was the builder's own house and the whole extension is extremely solid. When working on his own home he didn't cut any corners. I'll let you know if we fall through it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back