Washing Machine Belt - Cutting in to Plastic Drum Casing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My washing machine recently started to make a strange noise, on removing the back and looking at the belt, I can see that it has started to cut in to the plastic of the drum casing?

If I take the belt off and try to realign it, the belt seems to go on central, but after a wash it is back to most forward edge of the drive wheel and cutting in to the drum casing again.

I cannot work out why this would be, the washer still works but is very noisy when spinning as you'd expect.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The belt had come off about a week ago, so I put it back on and it has stayed on. I suppose the fact it is moving and had come off in the first place, first time in 8 years, would suggest there is not enough tension to keep it in place.

The heating element also seems to be playing up but it is an 11kg washer so didn't want to just replace it. But then again with it being 8 years old it might be time to think about a new one.

Would I be right in thinking around 10 years for a washer life cycle?

The belt had come off about a week ago, so I put it back on and it has stayed on. I suppose the fact it is moving and had come off in the first place, first time in 8 years, would suggest there is not enough tension to keep it in place.

The heating element also seems to be playing up but it is an 11kg washer so didn't want to just replace it. But then again with it being 8 years old it might be time to think about a new one.

Would I be right in thinking around 10 years for a washer life cycle?
Varies by brand and usage, wife used to do 5 washes a day 6 days a week when daughters were all at home.Had to change motor brushes yearly.

Sponsored Links
That is a fair amount of washing ;)

I probably do between 6-10 loads a week so not that much in comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back