Washing machine blowing trip switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asking for a relative - washing machine tripped the circuit this morning.

It isn't the socket or plug. It seems to happen a few mins into cycle when the water is heating.

Any washing machine people out there willing to say what order to check things next and hopefully find the fault? (my next thought is that water might be leaking or the heating element has gone faulty)

Sponsored Links
Go with your thoughts, seems likely to be failed element or a leak somewhere. Unless a wire has become loose, but would think that would trip almost instantly?

Go with your thoughts, seems likely to be failed element or a leak somewhere. Unless a wire has become loose, but would think that would trip almost instantly?
Thanks for answer
Yes, unless the vibration of the drum is creating the short via movement? But I've not been down to look at machine yet, so cant quite say exactly what is happening in cycle at that point. I need to go and look a bit closer.

Just been searching on here for other 'suspects' - one idea is worn brushes creating short. If it only blows when drum turns (not heating element getting up to , and maybe beyond, temperature ), then it's a possibility

Sponsored Links
If its a newsih machine, there is so much that can go wrong, hence we always take a 5 year warranty and dispose of the washing machine when it breaks down after 5yrs. Recently we got a new one by samsung, with a 5 year warranty. It is really hard to locate these trips.

If its a newsih machine, there is so much that can go wrong, hence we always take a 5 year warranty and dispose of the washing machine when it breaks down after 5yrs. Recently we got a new one by samsung, with a 5 year warranty. It is really hard to locate these trips.
It's old for a washing machine (7 years ish?) and I know the manufacturers would prefer it's disposed of and new one bought, but if I can help my son fix it for less than £75 or so, then I'd feel better about things by keeping it alive.
I've had 2 issues with a washing machine in last 6 years and 1 issue with dishwasher and managed to fix them both for less than £40, and it felt good and they are still going string and i feel like i learned quite a lot in the process.
But , all that being said,I agree with you, finding a short circuit could be a very long, fruitless task in a washing machine.

Update on this, for sake on completion. The machine trips as soon as it's turned on.

So, I doubt we are going to spend too long on it - it might be time for a new one. I might take the back off and check the brushes , and have a quick look for obvious leaks.
Will suggest a 5 year warranty on it. Thanks for ideas .

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Switched on where, socket or machine, if the socket it's worth a look at the suppressor & any wiring fixed to the frame of the machine that run from the input to the front.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Switched on where, socket or machine, if the socket it's worth a look at the suppressor & any wiring fixed to the frame of the machine that run from the input to the front.
Yes, soon as switched on at socket.
Thanks , I will give it a look over

What kind of multimeter test can I do on the suppressor ?

Disconnect the output first & see if it still trips, if not it would seem like an internal short circuit in the suppressor no need to test with multimeter. Not sure exactly what sort of readings you should get across each pair of terminals, but not short circuit obviously. Are you talking about an mcb or rcd tripping. If rcd look for short to earth from each terminal.

Disconnect the output first & see if it still trips, if not it would seem like an internal short circuit in the suppressor no need to test with multimeter. Not sure exactly what sort of readings you should get across each pair of terminals, but not short circuit obviously. Are you talking about an mcb or rcd tripping. If rcd look for short to earth from each terminal.
I'm going down there later today so will check all of this out, thanks for reply

Ok, there was no problem when the suppressor was disconnected , so the fault is further along. It was beyond my knowledge to check anything else except the brushes , but upon inspection the motor is 3 phase induction motor, so I dont know what to do now, but maybe let my son know to buy a new one? (and get a long warranty)
EDIT - the only washing machines I have ever fixed have had brushes worn out and I wasn't even aware that some machines have 3 phase motors, so some learning took place today

Last edited:
What make & model is it, I've never worked on a machine with that sort of set up, as I said the only other simple thing you could check is that the wiring harness is not chaffed & shorting to casing. You still haven't said what is tripping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back