Washing Machine boils my clothes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have an older front loading Miele washing machine, which has worked flawlessly for ages.

Its a Miele De Luxe-Electronic W765.

Last weekend I put on a dark wash, went to lunch, and came back to a very humid and strange smelling house. I thought "uh oh, my fish tank has broken!".

I was surprised to enter my laundry and find it like a sauna. Pretty much the whole washing machine was too hot to touch. There was some water dripping off the underside of the dryer which sits on the washing machine.

The clothes appeared to be almost boiling in very hot water, and had clearly been that way for some time. The dial was still on the main wash part of the cycle, despite it being 2hrs since I turned it on. I had it on a 2 part delicates cycle, and it was stuck just into the second part - main wash.

Some hot water had obviously spewed/boiled out the small tray on the top left where you put your powder and softener. Obviously very very VERY hot as it has literally bleached the brown plastic near white! I cant imagine how hot it must have been to do that.

I turned the dial to put it to the part of the wash where the water drains, and it drained very hot, very dark water.

Thankfully I had mostly towels etc in there, but things are all slightly faded now, including some polyester sports tops I have that would take a nuclear bomb to make fade!

So the next weekend I put on another wash. I tried a different type of cycle and also put it on cold wash, to see if that would avoid the massive heating of the water. Again, it got stuck in that part of the cycle and very hot, so before it had sat there long I put it through manually to the next part of the cycle.

Does anyone have any ideas of what i can try before I call someone in to look at it? As I type this I am running a shorter cotton cycle (2nd phase main wash only with no pre-wash) to see if that helps. I notice again its warm water despite being set on cold, but other than that the cycle looks OK so far. I havent run a cold wash before so no idea if it woudl have been cold before this problem arose.

I have tried cleaning out the water filter thingie at the bottom left of the machine, which didnt have much stuck in it although some water that came out when I opened it smeeled terrible - like rotten fish.

Aside from that, no idea! I am thinking the mechanism that turs the dial through the phases of the wash has failed, meaninhg it gets stuck on the part where it heats the water and lets the clothes sit for a minute. If so, no doubt I'll need to call an expert.

But I thought it worth asking here just in case someone had any interesting ideas to try!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back