Washing Machine Carbon Brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does it matter if the long side is left or right on the carbon brushes?

I recently purchased some and couldn't remember the long side. I got told it doesn't matter anyway as they will wear in accordingly.

typically I got sent the wrong long sided brushes, however I continued as advised to fit anyway.

Good news washing machine now works but is making a scratching noise and some slight sparks.

Bit worried I might be making a mistake or damaging the motor?

Sponsored Links
the bushes are rounded, so go round the armature.

Slight sparking/noise is normal whilst they bed in.

My brushes lasted 5 years from new, now wear out every year, bloke at shop says this is normal.

bot h brushes should be the same size when new, over time as the commutaor / brush connection arcs (sparks ) it will wear away some of the connection point, if after several washes (use of the motor) it sparks like a christmas tree (i have seen it) the motor should be replaced

Change them for the correct carbons. As you've got the angle the opposite way it will take a long time to bed in and the arcing will cause heat and may damage the motor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

I done a couple of washes but the scratching noise was irritating me.

The brushes are only a tenner on ebay (standard ce set) so I ordered another pair(correct long side).

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Jamie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back