washing machine drain standpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend's brand new flat has plumbing for a washing machine in a walk-in hall cupboard. The drain hose simply hooks over the standpipe. He also needs to connect a condenser dryer into this standpipe, but nowhere can we find a simple plastic Y splitter to just drop onto the existing standpipe so it can take both drain hoses at once. It's not as if the dryer will give more than a small trickle anyway!

It rather looks as if the job's going to be a lot more complicated than it needs to be unless some kind expert can offer the simple solution we need.

Sponsored Links
does your friends drier have a pump to evacuate the water ? if it does not ,you should not connect into the top of the standpipe . most condensing driers that I have seen collect the water inside ,and you manually empty it. if it has a drain hose it MAY only take the water away by gravity .in which case it would need to go into waste pipework at a low level. you really need to establish exactly what machine can do.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all.
Doogle, that's the one I found but I hoped for something simpler - the two hoses will have to be properly connected in with this one. As a complete amateur, I assumed that somebody would make a simple Y plastic insert I can just drop in!
Terryplumb, I'll check that point out but I'm pretty sure it just has a drain hose with a hook on the end, exactly like the washing machine.
Alec, not entirely sure about that but I will continue my education!!

If using the V33WM, you need to remove both hooks from the drain hoses and connect them to the spigots provided, securing with a hose clip. This item is purposely designed to connect 2 appliances to 1 standpipe, not sure what the issue is? http://www.wickes.co.uk/McAlpine-V33WM-Connection-for-Standpipe-Trap-38mm/p/227038
Thank you Hugh, I did not know that you can use a hose clip to connect it onto a plastic pipe. The V33WM is probably going to be the way forward.

You don't have to use a hose clip, but for peace of mind, and what they cost, I always fit one. Soon makes a mess if the drain hose comes off when you're not looking!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back