Washing Machine Drain Hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got a new washing machine and it states that the drain hose should be routed a minimum of 40cm off floor level. My standpipe is directly behind the machine (offset to the left). The drain hose exits the machine at the top back right of the machine, so with it looped downwards and back up on itself where it enters the standpipe, it is only 25cm off the floor.

I know I could cut the hose, but then I'd lose the rubber end piece off it, which would come in handy in future if I alter the plumbing and have it connected directly under the sink. So I was wondering if it would be possible to tie up the hose a bit? However, it would be in the other direction, so I'd tie it up so the hose would exit the machine and bear right, then down (but 40cm off floor), then back left and hook it over the top of the standpipe. Would this be be a good idea or is there a better way of doing it?

Incidentally, I tried a test wash with it set up as it is, and it worked ok, with no siphoning, however I would prefer to follow the manufacturers guidance.

Sponsored Links
I think you will find the 40cm is the minimum height the hose must rise to for example if goes into a stand pipe 40cm off the floor that is ok if it dips before that it usually doesn't matter.

If it did not rise that amount you might get syphoning and if fitted to a sink waste water from the waste might get back into the drum.

I think you will find the 40cm is the minimum height the hose must rise to for example if goes into a stand pipe 40cm off the floor that is ok if it dips before that it usually doesn't matter.

I know what you're saying as I thought this myself at first, but it does state (and illustrate) that the hose must be no less than 40cm above ground level. Seems to be a Beko thing as I've read a few other manufacturers manuals and they don't state it. The standpipe is about 80cm off the ground so that's ok, it's just with it being so close to the machine the drain hose loops downwards quite a bit before looping back up and over the standpipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back