Washing machine drain was installed by cowboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My first time here and a bit of a tale of woe.
I had a laundry room built in my basement and it looks fab. but I'm getting bad smells and I think it is because a p trap was not fitted to the waste.

(and it is here dear readers that I curse myself. Back story: the builder turned out to be a real cowboy who cut corners at every opportunity. When I saw that he had put the drain for the washing machine behind a stud wall, and that it emerged from the plasterboard at about the 70 or 80 cm above the floor, I asked him whether a trap was in the line and he said "yes", and like a fool I believed him. )

So now I have bad smells, a drain that looks like it consists of a straight pipe that emerges from the plaster board almost horizontally and appears to run in a straight line to the sewer some 2 meters away just below floor level. I would like to to add a trap that I can see and clean.
Questions I hope you can help with;
What are my options?
1) e.g. can I simply add a p trap without a stand pipe to the existing pipe that projects? Or could I create a very deep trap? Must there be a stand pipe?
2) Should the trap be anti syphon?
3) I guess, at the worse of my expectations, I might have to rip out the plaster board and re work the drainage but that sounds very expensive and messy.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
With the waste pipe at only a low exist point, you can still fit a standard washing machine waste to it.
You could manufacture you own, using 40mm elbows and about 800mm of 40mm pipe.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have had machine warranty work boys stating "no air admittance" and so I always bung the air admittance valve in even though we all know that it will be fine without.

To be honest I have had them say the same when connected to a spigot trap and you have to point them at the sink waste & say "air admittance".
Existing waste pipe is 70 - 80 cm off floor so hep valve & (short) standpipe may take it a bit higher than manus requirements so using spigot can keep it at this height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back