1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing machine drum seal

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by PetersUk, 20 Sep 2020.

1. PetersUk

PetersUk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Today I was using my Smeg washing machine when I heard a funny noise from the drums and then saw smoke.

I turned the machine off and had little idea to begin with as to what had gone wrong. I checked various parts and discovered what looks like the drum seal has ripped off inside when I was using a heavy load.

I let the machine cool down and then tried it again and it seems to be fine. I take it the part is to stop a water leak. How critical is it? Is it something I could replace and fix as a novice amateur?

See enclosed photos

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. jj4091

jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not familiar with Smeg machines but if the door seal is damaged I would have thought you would have ended up with a leak. Use your model number to find a replacement part & then see if there are any videos on u-tube that tell you how to do it yourself.

4. assuhors

assuhors

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most likely your drum support has broken allowing movement into the seal. Get each of the drum lifters in turn to the bottom of the drum and push down, one or more of the supports will be broken.