Washing machine hot water coming from combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I not long ago had a combi boiler fitted and ever since the water supply/workings have changed.Ie when I'm doing the combi is activated and the hot water for the washing is coming from the combi when before it didn't matter if I had hot water or not when doing a washing?
Any ideas why this is and if it's supposed to be like that?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi folks,
I not long ago had a combi boiler fitted and ever since the water supply/workings have changed.Ie when I'm doing the combi is activated and the hot water for the washing is coming from the combi when before it didn't matter if I had hot water or not when doing a washing?
Any ideas why this is and if it's supposed to be like that?
Thanks.

Can you please clarify what the problem is hiwatt?
Is there a problem with the actual washing machine & can you please confirm it's both a Hot & Cold fill machine??

There isn't a problem as such!I thought it was clear enough?
Before having the combi installed when I never had any hot water in the tank the machine would heat the water.Now when doing a washing it's using the hot water from the combi where before having the combi installed it didn't need a hot water supply?
So no problem I'm just asking if it should do this.(Before the combi I had a back boiler that I would have to switch hot water on about 40 mins or so before requiring it but didn't need it just to do a washing?

Sorry I meant to say "When I'm doing a washing" in the original question!

Sponsored Links
Play nice Dan :p.

Does your washing machine have both a hot and cold connection? You would need to check the instructions for your washing machine to be sure but some will either accept hot from the boiler instead of heating itself (if available and connected) or heat it up itself with an electric element inside if no hot pipe is connected.

Maybe the washing machine is connected to the hot water pipe. When you had a cylinder you may not have noticed the hot water being used whilst the machine was running. Now however as soon as the machine draws water the combi senses a demand and fires up?

If your machine has a connection to hot water, sounds like it's working correctly. Drawing hot from combi will mean that the water in the machine reaches temp quicker and will be cheaper than heating it from cold with the machine's electric element.

In the past, your machine would have drawn hot from the hw cylinder. If no hot water in cylinder, the machine would have heated the cold or luke water that came from the cyl with it's elec element.

Yeah there's both a hot and cold connection.srhawksy that makes sense! So in the past before I had instant hot water via the combi,when I didn't have any hot water(which was often)and did a washing was the washing machine not getting any hot water at all?
I thought the washing machine heated up cold water much the same as an electric shower?No?
P.s I no nothing about these things.
Thanks folks.

Older washing machines are hot and cold fill, most will draw hot and cold water in, if the water in the drum is then still not hot enough for the wash programme selected, the machine will continue to heat it using it's internal element.

As said, if a demand for hot water is sensed (i.e. a tap opened or washing machine inlet valve opens to let water into the machine) then the combi will fire to heat that water. If you dont wish this to happen, connect hot and cold fill hoses together using a Y piece and blank the hot washing machine tap off to prevent accidental usage and possible flood!

New washing machines are now cold fill only. As the methods for heating the hot water vary wildly between properties, so does the energy efficiency of every home. As a result the washing machine manufacturers cannot give their products an energy efficiency rating unless they control the cost of heating the water for the wash cycle. To achieve this the machine heats the water itself.

Yeah there's both a hot and cold connection.srhawksy that makes sense! So in the past before I had instant hot water via the combi,when I didn't have any hot water(which was often)and did a washing was the washing machine not getting any hot water at all?
I thought the washing machine heated up cold water much the same as an electric shower?No?
P.s I no nothing about these things.
Thanks folks.

Forgive some of the rsoles on here hiwatt, they still think we run around in kilts chasing haggis.

Your combi will instantly heat water. However, the internal element in your washing machine will also heat water.

Thanks for the help folks.I'm still getting used to the combi and how it functions.
It's a luxury having instant hot water now.
Even my washing machine is benefiting :)
Cheers Richard . :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back