Washing Machine in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I want to put a washing-machine in a bathroom (once I've confirmed that everything is OK as far as the electrics are concerned) and just want to check a few things.

It will be going into an airing cupboard which has a cold water pipe needed for the plumbing and which is next to a basin, to which I will be connecting the drainage hose. The cupboard also has a small radiator at the back, which I will need to raise up to accommodate the washing machine.

I don't think there will be any problems (I hope!) with plumbing the cold water in. Also, hopefully, there should be no problems with making a hole in the airing cupboard and connecting the drainage hose to the basin's waste trap but I would be grateful for any suggestions about whether the hose needs to be kept above a certain level until it goes into the waste trap, or whether it should go into the trap at a certain height. I haven't yet found a trap that is suitable, either, because the sink-to-drain connection is vertically straight down, and I can only find mainly straight-down then horizontal traps which have the hose connector. Any suggestions as to where I can get what I'm looking for, or will I need to try to make one from different parts?

Finally, I would like to leave the valves for the radiators where they are currently (i.e. near the ground) and have some sort of connection between them and the radiator which will be moved about 80cms higher. I want to leave the valves because I don't want to have to drain the whole closed heating system. The valves are the normal metal ones (one is a TRV) and the pipework is plastic. Is there an easy way to link the valves to the radiator higher up? What can I buy that would do it?

I would be grateful for any answers.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Basin waste is normally 32mm whereas you need 40mm for the washing machine.

As above. I doubt you'll find a trap with a spigot to attach a drain hose in 32mm, washing machine/dishwasher discharge pipework should be 40mm minimum.

Quite possible if you were to achieve your proposed waste setup, the washing machine water will reappear in the basin when the machine pumps out, 32mm waste wont handle the flow.

Thanks for the replies with regard to the waste pipes, which are indeed 32mm, so not big enough for the washing machine waste discharge. I will have to see if I can change the pipe under the floorboards into a 40mm one and then see if I could connect that in some way to the basin. Maybe a bit complicated?

Sponsored Links
If machine is in the cupboard, then fit a 40mm standpipe and hook drain hose into that, provided you can get 40mm waste to that point, waste is sorted. If using solvent welded waste it's wise to incorporate some access points, wastes can gunge up with soap/hair/clothes fibres/etc over time. :(

If the existing tails on the rad are 15mm compression then it's reasonably easy to extend as required, however if they are the larger unions then I dont think you'll be able to adapt those very easily, might have to drain system and extends the existing pipework to suit new rad position. :cry:

Yes they are 15mm tails, so could be done, and the pipe extension would be behind a washing machine and hidden in an airing cupboard. Doesn't matter how it would look, then!
The waste looks like it's very possible too, just means removing floorboards.
It's all clearer now, so thanks for all advice.
No pictures to follow, though... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back