Washing machine low pressure supply and no supply to conditioner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed my machine (Indesit) no longer empties the conditioner compartment so I took the dispenser drawer apart and removed and then thoroughly cleaned the dispenser draw lid where the jets are located. I also ran water through the lid while it was detached to check all the jet holes are unblocked and water can run freely through them. The drawer itself is clean and the conditioner compartment can siphon water no problem, it's not blocked.

When I run a prewash cycle I've noticed that the pressure of water being released by the jets is quite low, especially compared to the jets that run during a main wash. At some point in the prewash cycle the water actually stops coming out of the prewash jets and just comes out of the nozzle at the back of the drawer. I wonder if this where the problem lies, perhaps the prewash solenoid valve isn't opening up properly? I measured the resistance of both the solenoids with a multimeter and they came back with similar readings. What's my next step?

Sorry the title is not very clear, the water supply to the machine has good pressure.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the machine is on mains pressure and not from a cold water storage tank in the loft?

Andy

yes, it has a supply with good pressure, it's not supplied by a loft tank. It has worked fine for a few years, the problem occurred only recently. The jets in the main wash compartment spray with good pressure.

Then it's more than likely the solenoid. They do get gummed up with lime scale. They are cheap enough and reasonably easy to change.

Sponsored Links
ok, I'll go ahead and replace the valve (well, both valves as it looks like they're bought as a set). I found one set online for £8.50 which says it's compatible with my WIL103 so I'll give that a go, thanks

UPDATE: I took the inlet valve apart to find that the one of the black diaphragms had a tear in it. I replaced the whole inlet valve (though maybe I could have sourced just a black diaphragm / washer?) and it is now working again. It fills much faster.

I've heard turning the supply to the machine off in between uses prolongs the life of the valves, so I'll do that from now on. Don't know if it's true or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back