washing machine plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm connecting a new washing machine and have noticed that the safety valve in the hot water pipe does not allow hot water to flow through even when open, unlike the valve on the cold water pipe which obviously when open allows cold water through. Is this normal ?

Sponsored Links
no
i take it you are refering to the valves you have on the pipes as oppsoed to on the m/c?

are they the clamp on type of valve?

hi breezer thanks for the reply. yes it is the valve on the copper pipe. I have been told that valve on the hot water pipe although it looks the same is not ie there is some kind of demand made from the washing machine for hot water. Does not make sense to me?

yes the valve seems to be clamped onto the hot water pipe in the same way the valve is clamped on to the cold water pipe.

Sponsored Links
what you have been told is not quite right your m/c has a hot and cold valve thats where the "water demand" comes from.

how shall i tell you your problem nicely......................

I am still thinking

99% of me says the valve has partialy close, it often happens with the "clamp on valves" the valve cuts a section of pipe as it is fixed, how ever, if it does not cut through 360 degrees you get a "flap /hinge" water pressure closes this (partially) and that is your problem

Only way to cure it is to turn hot water supply off drain pipes and fit propper taps, and since you are doing hot you may as well do cold

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back