Washing machine trap overflow issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have the dishwasher and washing machine waste pipes connecting with a "Y" type pipe connection which then goes through a trap and away.

View media item 33911(Current arrangement)

Trap pipes are 40mm diameter. Stand pipe height is 44cm from red circle to bottom of U-bend.

I installed this arrangement after problems with an older arrangement (see below) and it worked fine for 3 weeks. Now, waste water is coming out of the top of the Y connection through a hole which I think is an air hole (circled in red).

View media item 29884(Old arrangement)

I took it all apart and scraped the angled horizontal pipe leading away with rods but there is no blockage or any build up in any of the pipes. The leak only happens during washing machine expel, not dishwasher.

Talked briefly with a plumber family member and he said there may be a blockage nearer the sink area where waste pipe terminates (possibly due to Insinkerator waste disposal) and suggested running several sinkfuls of water through. Did this and no change. He also said that the exit pipe (from the sink area to the main waste pipe) was 1.25 inch when it should be 1.5 inch.

As I can't see where the problem lies even vaguely, I'm concerned about just calling a plumber because it may end up being a long investigation involving taking apart of fitted kitchen backboards and may not even lead to a ready solution.

My questions:
1) Where should I be looking for the problem? What will a plumber be looking for?

2) Is this a good arrangement for waste or should I look to put in a different pipe system altogether?

3) It worked for a while rather than failing immediately and so could this be a washing machine issue? Could it be malfunctioning and expelling water at too much pressure or speed?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You have a blockage in waste pipe somewhere , nothing to do with machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back