Washing Machine waste into rain drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we're looking into moving our washing machine into the garage, but there isn't a foul drain close by for the waste water. We thought we may be able drain the waste into the rain drain the garage roof drains to.

is this allowed? If not then we'll scrap this idea.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It depends where the rain drain goes. If into a soakaway or a different drain network, no.

If it ends up in the same fould sewer, yes.

It all depends on the age of the house and the neighbourhood!

Most London Victorian terraced houses had a single drainage system.

It was not until the 60s that most houses were built with seperate drainage systems but that was at a considerable extra cost to the developer.

The Environment Agency are very good at tracing soapy water discharging into the water courses ( streams ) where rainwater drains discharge into. Water quality in rivers is a big thing!

If you have an inspection chamber see if a bucket into the rainwater drain ends up in the same drain as the toilets.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It depends where you are - my 1930's terrace house in SE London has seperate foul and surface water systems. We had the Thames Water round inspecting every house last year as someone had plumbed an en-suite into the surface water system and was contaminating the local streams.

Best check with your service provider

thanks guys - it is as I suspected, so we'll have to find out if accessing the fould drain is a possibility.

I dont think you have understood!

You need to test or find out if you have a seperate storm water drainage system.

Tony

I dont think you have understood!

You need to test or find out if you have a seperate storm water drainage system.

Tony

Correct, lift the lid on the main drain inspection chamber, and chuck some water down the rainwater gully, if it comes out in the inspection chamber you can use it, but you may need to modify it slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back