Washing machine waste outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've done a few searches in the forum but washing machine waste questions / answers always assume there is a drain. I'm fitting a washing machine where there is (1) no electricity - spark coming to fit socket (2) no water supply - will get plumber to run a pipe to it (3) nowhere for the dirty water to go. I'll discuss (3) with the plumber, but meanwhile a couple of questions. (A) can the water go into a rain drain? (B) I can run a pipe all the way round the house under a verandah to get to a drain which takes sink & bath water. Any idea what diameter this would have to be please? (C) any idea how much water a washing outputs on a run? In the limit I thought of maybe mounting the washing machine on a suitably strong stand and having it drain into a plastic tank (like caravans use) then just carrying this to the manhole and chucking it down. Any advice much appreciated, thank in advance. - Terry.

Sponsored Links
A - probably not unless you are on a combined drainage system. Otherwise you risk contaminating the surface water drainage.
B - maybe but it depends how much fall you can achieve so probably not
C - totally impractical unless you intend standing by the outlet for 2 hours while the wash cycle runs. Automatic washing machines go through several fill/empty cycles depending on the chosen programme. I don't know the total quantity but you certainly would not be able to use that option.

Time to find the local launderette :)

Your plumber will be the only one who can advise after a site visit. You have too many variables & unknowns.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back