Washing Machine waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a new washing machine and it seems that the pipework taking the waste water out can't cope with the amount of water coming out. This was also a problem for the previous machine but it didn't seem to manifest itself until years after we had moved in.

What's happening now is that you can hear the water backing up the waste pipe as the machine drains, also the sink starts gurgling like hell suggesting that airflow is being forced back up the pipe. With this new machine the water doesn't seem to overflow from the stand pipe, I don't know if it's getting syphoned back down the machine waste pipe or what.

The plumbing is 40mm pipework but it goes from the kitchen for about 3 metres and has 2x 90 degree bends in it which is obviously hindering the water passing freely. Also the angle of drop is really not a lot as it has to run under the raised floor before exiting the wall.

Any suggestions as to what I could do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the machines waste hose goes into a standpipe and trap ,remove the trap ,check it's clean. Then check the waste pipework run for partial blockage.

Just stuck the 'snake' down the pipe and there was some crud inside that I managed to push through, the usual white powdery stuff despite us not using powder and a little oily/food goo, but not much really. There's no trap on the standpipe, it's straight in to the wastepipe.

Without a trap there is nothing to prevent foul air from the drains entering the room. Does the waste pipework expel into a soil stack ,or hopper ,or something else ?

Sponsored Links
Without a trap there is nothing to prevent foul air from the drains entering the room. Does the waste pipework expel into a soil stack ,or hopper ,or something else ?
No not the soil stack, straight into the drain where the rainwater from the guttering goes. We don't suffer from any foul smells.

Last edited:
Water backing up the pipe is not unusual, the machine pumps out at a fair rate, and the water needs to find it's own level as it drains. It's obviously coping or you'd have an overspill from the top of the standpipe each time the machine discharges. I'd say the gurgling is more likely to be syphonage, the pipe has filled with water and is pulling at the sink trap as the flow rushes past.

Washing machine needs a Standpipe arrangement fitting, it may not smell now, but it may do in future as the waste pipe slowly gunges up, and anyway, it's correct practice. It may even quieten the discharge process down. If the sink is bugging you, fit an Anti Vac trap in place of the existing, which should stop them sink from gurgling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back