washing machine waste problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have my washing machine waste pipe going into a stand pipe then it goes undermy sink where the sink waste connects into it before it carries on to the outside but everytime my washine machine empties it seems to cause air block in my sink waste and the sink wont drain can anyone help me fix this

Sponsored Links
What's an "air block"?

Has it ever worked properly?

If so, when did the problem start?

Have you had any other plumbing work done since it was last working?

i just fitted new kitchen units and had to replace all the kitchen waste pipes and it worked fine until i used the washine machine and after i use it the sink will not drain anymore more

That isn't tha same as you said before!

First are they all new pipes - no possibility of a lump of old washing machine gunge having come loose from a pipe??

Whatever, try pouring lots of boiling water down the sink. Harmless, and dissolves goo.

Sponsored Links
saupe30 said:
... everytime my washine machine empties it seems to cause air block in my sink waste and the sink wont drain ...

every time? Do you mean it corrects itself, or you do something to make it work between times?

A few further details are needed.

When your sink blocks, is it completely blocked or slow running. Is it still blocked now? Did you replace the waste pipework like for like or did you change routes or anything?

I’m not sure whether the washing machine outlet should make an airtight seal with the waste pipe but – with the sink blocked, does removing the washing machine outlet get the sink going again?

Are the waste fittings solvent weld or compression?

My routine here would be (having poured the kettle of boiling water down the sink) – slowly (just in case loads of water backs out of the stand pipe) take the washing machine hose out– listen/look for anything strange as you do so (When you take the hose out, keep it above the level of the machine otherwise you’ll have a wet floor). Assuming water hasn’t backed out of the waste pipe, pour a jug or two of water down the pipe and check that it disappears and that it discharges into your gulley. If all is OK, scoop out your sink (being very careful about the boiling water you poured down earlier) and then start looking for blockages – hence the earlier question about compression fittings.

G

i think it is blocked completely yes i did change the route slightly as the old pipes went through all the cabinets and i placed them underneath other than that i think its basically the same. The pipes are push fit connected

ok i was just watching it when the washing machine was emptying and it seemed to be making water bubble out of the sink plug hole

well the problem is definately being caused by the washing machine how do you think i can solve the problem would making the pipes a bit longer work or do you think my best option would be to make the pipes separate

I would put a small amount of money on the problem being caused by the pipework changes that you've made. I have a strong hunch that part of the pipe run goes uphill - this can easilt cause the kind of airlock that result in the "bubbling up" in the sink when the washing machine empties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back