Washing Machine Weight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the rough picture it was taken a while ago when I cleaned out the crawl space void (it’s not a cellar), insulated it and replaced the rotten floorboards.

Anyway it’s only been used as a dry utility and office for a while but now we are moving the kitchen around.

Along that far wall will be tumble dryer, washing machine and possibly a 200l accumulator.

I’m guessing I need to beef up a couple of those joists?

Is the best way to do this ..

1: Sister the first two joists
2: Some kind of catnic or rsj solution?
3: Build a couple of block piers ad 1/3 across.
4: Buy a couple of acrows and leave them under the floor to support the weight?
5: A mini mezzanine type thing under the floor?

Washing machine vibration / is also an issue... I think the cavity will act like a big drum?

Attachments

• 39C3B24A-D3DC-438F-8EAC-AE5898D4E7F3.png
    39C3B24A-D3DC-438F-8EAC-AE5898D4E7F3.png
    2 MB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
You might be overthinking this. All of that is pretty standard stuff assuming those joists are sound and correctly sized for the span.

Yes that had crossed my mind but its a really old house....You might be right of course but the look a bit piddly to be holding 150plus KG and a shed load of vibration?

Yes that had crossed my mind but its a really old house....You might be right of course but the look a bit piddly to be holding 150plus KG and a shed load of vibration?

Erm, won't a 200L accumulator weigh closer to 230Kg if it has 200L of water in it (and have a pretty small load bearing foot print)?

I don't know much about this stuff and am happy to be corrected, however the following says

"The weight we place upon a floor by way of bathroom suites, beds, wardrobes etc, is known as the "imposed load". It is again accepted that, for normal household requirements, the imposed load will not exceed 1.5kN/sq.m."

http://www.home-extension.co.uk/tech2.html

1.5kN is 153Kg

Again, I admit that I am out of my depth.

Sponsored Links
Fran
I would suggest 'could' start by putting some noggins between the joists at mid-span:

Would also ask what is the span of your joists and their height and thickness dimensions.

SFK

Old wood is actually stronger than new.

For the accumulator I'd probably just make a platform that spreads the load across two or three joists.

Erm, won't a 200L accumulator weigh closer to 230Kg if it has 200L of water in it (and have a pretty small load bearing foot print)?

I don't know much about this stuff and am happy to be corrected, however the following says

"The weight we place upon a floor by way of bathroom suites, beds, wardrobes etc, is known as the "imposed load". It is again accepted that, for normal household requirements, the imposed load will not exceed 1.5kN/sq.m."

http://www.home-extension.co.uk/tech2.html

1.5kN is 153Kg

Again, I admit that I am out of my depth.

Thanks .... I was under the impression that a 200l accumulator would only fill half way as 100l of it would be pressure?
I need to check the tech info.

I guess it’s not much different weight wise to a full bathtub?

Need to apply some science instead of guessing I suppose.

Trada says 125nm load on those joists (I’m guessing the exact size) is 2.1m span but I think the centres are wider than 400 tbh.

I’m thinking of getting some of those decking feet and installing 4 mid span support posts 4 inch square? But I want to be sure it’s going to hold.

Also need a sound deadening solution.

Attachments

• ADD68A2F-0F74-439D-BAA1-9FDC2AC3BE1C.jpeg
    ADD68A2F-0F74-439D-BAA1-9FDC2AC3BE1C.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 64
Old wood is actually stronger than new.

For the accumulator I'd probably just make a platform that spreads the load across two or three joists.

From underneath yes? I think that’s the best solution.... just whether to go block or timber?

Fran
I would suggest 'could' start by putting some noggins between the joists at mid-span:

Would also ask what is the span of your joists and their height and thickness dimensions.

SFK

See above reply .... 125kn is under 2m the floor is 2.5

Attachments

• 232C575C-E30A-4DC7-96B9-1C914E9A8211.jpeg
    232C575C-E30A-4DC7-96B9-1C914E9A8211.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 69
I was under the impression that a 200l accumulator would only fill half way as 100l of it would be pressure?
I need to check the tech info.

A quick butchers on the interwebs seems to suggest that they hold approx 65% of water by volume, so at a rough guess a 200L unit would be about 165Kg in total.

A quick butchers on the interwebs seems to suggest that they hold approx 65% of water by volume, so at a rough guess a 200L unit would be about 165Kg in total.

I only know the rough science but
when I add the weight of a washing machine its more that the 125kn load on the trada tables.

If anyone can tell me more without getting my SE involved that would be great :)

Think I'm going to build a solid platform but it's about 4ft deep.
My Plan is as per the attached (pinched from another thread) .. I'm going to build a blockwork wall up to floor height.

Can I backfill this cavity with any old rubble like old bricks etc (removed from the chimney that's being opened up) and then top off with a poured 4 inch concrete slab?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 09.56.01.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 09.56.01.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 76

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back