Vibration reduction for Washing machines (Concrete floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any input or suggestions regarding creating a dedicated concrete pad for a washing machine to sit on?

The floor itself will be 100mm concrete 100mm insulation 65mm screed with UFH and then tiled.

Just sitting here behind my desk having a washing machine on spin-cycle at the other side of the house watching the tea in my cup vibrate away made me wonder if in the house I'm renovating I should do something special under where the washing machine is meant to go, in order to stop the vibration from traveling throughout the house.

The floor itself will be de-coupled from the walls using perimiter insulation, but even then noise can and will still be transferred from floor to ground to foundation to walls.

Is there a common method of decoupling the area the washing machine will sit on and giving it "shock absorbers" of some kind?

Sponsored Links
I fixed a friend's washing machine a few months back. Turns out they'd left the transport bolts in, so the machines internal shocks were completely ineffective!

The machine doesn't exist yet.

This is purely a planning excersize to make sure it won't shake the whole house when its out of balance.

Sponsored Links
The fastest spin cycles trash your machine and reduce its lifespan. Use the lowest spin setting and spend a little longer drying your clothes. We never have our hotpoint above 400rpm, still going strong after 12odd years, and it was a cheapie one!

My machine is on concrete, nice & steady, had problems in another house, I put the machine on 1/2" ply base. That did help & make it acceptable.
Its also cheap & easy to do.

The washing machine will be right between two bedrooms, i dont really want half the house awake when its on spin cycle late at night.

I've seen to many cases of washing machines shaking rooms and it reverberating throughout the house.

Think I'll make a seperate section for it in the floor so its detatched from the main floor slab, and add some flexible material (cork or something) around the slab it will sit on so it can move slightly.

Then when its tiled, have a silicon bead around that section of floor.

Rest of the floor is getting UFH anyway, so the floor will be in "stages" since the bath will be in one corner, the toilet hanging on the wall in the middle and a shower unit in the next corner.

Will let you know what I do :)

my girlfriends washer was very noisey, when i looked at it i fount the concrete weight underneath was broken, i replaced that and she says its quieter than its ever been before, which makes me wonder if it wasnt broken from day one.

ive just bought a hotpoint washing machine and im very impressed with how little noise it actualy makes, mine is sat on concrete and theres a rug which i cut to the size of the machine under it. i had the same setup with an older machine but that was a lot noiser, so maybe machines are getting quieter.

also lg sell rubber feet to go with there direct drive washers which is suppossed to help with vibration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back