washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Whirlpool machine Model #LA558OXKW1 is draining,and the drain is clear but water is overpowering the drain and backing up to the floor. We have lived in this house for 4 years and this has not happened before. It happens each time the machine hits the drain cycle. We bought a siphon break but it did not fit our Whirlpool. Is this what we need and can we purchase one for our machine- do you know what that part # would be for this machine or can you suggest what we should do?

Sponsored Links
If it hasn't happened before, the drain must be partially blocked. They all do it. I don't know how WM wastes are configured in the US - ours usually have an air break (open pipe). If yours is similar I suggest you pour a good amount of boiling water down it as a first try - otherwise use mechanical means to shift the accumulation of goo.

If the problem were a lack of siphon break the machine probably wouldn't fill up after an "empty" - it would keep emptying.

It's pretty safe bet that if water can get out (onto the floor) then air can get in!

I would agree with ChrisR, (almost) a wasing m/c collects fluf /lint as it works, this is pumped out and gets "stuck" in your waste pipe, over time it builds up, pouring hot water down the pipe will do no good, you need something that is designed to unblock sinks (we have one called "mr muscle sink & plughole unblocker" but i do not know if you have it over there)

Best thing to do is if you can't get that (or something similar) take the pipes apart and manually clean the insides (shove a broom handle down it, when you have the pipe off, pipe must be off otherwise you will only push the blockage further down the pipe)

The stuff which blocks washing machines drains in all cases I have seen is solidified soap. It does the same in sewers. I have yet to see a blockage from a washing machine, of lint!

Sponsored Links
I find it easier to renew the waste pipe again if possible and if it not too costy.When I took mine apart you still get a thin layer of hard deposit which you can't remove (mostly in hard water area) and therefore wastes will build up again as it not running smoothy thru' the pipe.Well that my theory !

Yes I agree with the above re blockages. Its usually started by a small foreign body ( toothpics, Hairgrips, bits of matches etc) getting lodged in a pipe. As soon as this happens there will be a blockage following. I keep telling folk to check their pockets before popping them in the wash....
Hard water deposits dont help either..and as I have said before American laundry items use HUGE amounts of water..

Also I like it add from my previous post when cutting waste pipe try & use a mitre block for a 90 degree cut,so when joining to connector it shouldn't leave any gaps in the joint area as Gees said toothpics, Hairgrips, bits of matches etc getting lodged in a pipe.The amount of people I've seen cutting with hacksaw being all out of shape :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back