Wasn't expecting this...what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Lifted some old vinyl flooring to replace with new, and discovered this. Although there is a lot of mould, there is no actual sign of water. It appears to follow the line of where a new concrete slab was joined to the original many years ago when an extension was added, which leads me to suspect that there was a problem joining the two damp proof courses.

Short of digging up the whole floor what can I do next.

Sponsored Links
What exactly is the problem? All I can see is floor levelling compound and some black spot mould - the latter you would probably find in a majority of homes, beneath a non-breathable floor covering such as vinyl.

That's kind of reassuring. My fear was that the damp proof course had failed and that rising damp was causing the mould.

Sponsored Links
There has been a leak from one of the appliances at some point and its festered under the lino.
Scrub it with bleach and put some new flooring down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back