Wasps getting in trough the soffit to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried googling this but can't get the answer I need. Trying to sort out the guttering on the N elev of the house, and typically the blighters have made a nest it appears entering where the ply of the soffit doesn't quite meet the pitched beams from the ridge to the eaves.
The house has no attic, so presumably they're in the actual wall of the roof. Any ideas on what to do?
I believe they all die off during winter and the new queen emerges, buggers off and starts a new nest.
If that's so, I could wait a month or two, silicone the whole lot up and hope that the new queen when she emerges in spring can't get out and will die anyway, or should I just wait until May and then seal it up hoping she's gone.
Or, later when it's darker and colder and they're not active, I could go up the ladder and seal them all in...but- this has a risk of them exiting into the house somewhere surely?
The space they are in surely must be bounded by joists and a noggin, plasterboard below, sarking above and a membrane paper or something. the house is timber framed so surely they couldn't get down the wall space from here?
Or should I go to the local hardware shop and try and get something to spray around the entry/exit points later when it's dark(got a mega powerful MTB light so easy to see what I'm doing)
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You need some 'rentokil wasp nest killer' on ebay about £5.00, just puff a little around their access hole.

I used it a couple of weeks ago, applied 8 pm all and wasps dead by next morning.

Put a load of ant powder around the entry point.

Has worked well for me.

It is near the end of their season (October) so they get a little dozy at this time of year and tend to sting more before dying off.

I have a nest about the size of a football in my loft space which was active last year. We only noticed it when we got back from holiday towards the end of August - so after searching for solutions - decided to leave it.

Wasps only last for one season and the queen never goes back to the same nest. We were advised to leave the nest in situ as wasps are very territorial and will never start to nest near another wasp nest. It worked for us this year - no wasps and the old nest is still there. You can buy paper shaped pretend nests to put up where wasps have been a problem - this is supposed to act as a deterent - but we haven't tried this - just used last year's model still in position.

Sponsored Links
Ta for the replies, I'm keen to get rid of them because I've ongoing issues with the gutters(Lindab, fitted clips at 800c/c against mfr recommended 600c/c) and they're letting water over the side due to snow damage(bent clips).
I want them off and refitted to max 500c/c to see just how this super scandinavian system(being sarcastic here) really copes with highland snowfall this winter!!!

So I just need to blow some powder about a queens hole then? Gotta be an Elton Joke in there somewhere ;)

I take it they take the powder into the nest itself thus doing them all in?

It is near the end of their season (October) so they get a little dozy at this time of year and tend to sting more before dying off.

I have a nest about the size of a football in my loft space which was active last year. We only noticed it when we got back from holiday towards the end of August - so after searching for solutions - decided to leave it.

Wasps only last for one season and the queen never goes back to the same nest. We were advised to leave the nest in situ as wasps are very territorial and will never start to nest near another wasp nest. It worked for us this year - no wasps and the old nest is still there. You can buy paper shaped pretend nests to put up where wasps have been a problem - this is supposed to act as a deterent - but we haven't tried this - just used last year's model still in position.

At this time of year all the harvesting has been done and they are bored with nothing to do. Hence why they become a problem at this time of the year more so than any other.

The nest thing is a myth, it's quite common for them to build nests close together, if they haven't, it's just luck.

The queens have already gone out the nests to get ready for hibernation in new, smaller nests, ready to start all over again next year. So apart from being annoying, its pointless killing the nests at this time of year.

I'm still a bit confused over their life cycle? Is this likely to be the main nest in my roof, or is this the queens new hibernation gaff? Ie will they all go elsewhere, or is this them already moved? Do the drones help her set up the new place then croak it?
If so then next year I'll have just one queen wasp waking up and finding herself sealed in her own tomb? Should be able to handle that if she comes out the roof from some other gap....
:evil:

Sponsored Links
Back