WASPS

wms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for whatever reason we seem to be plauged with wasps,nasty little blighters as well.I have been stung just putting my shirt on. my daughter was stung in bed last night. a parcel collector picked up a parcel and got stung on the stomach. every day wasps just keep appearing on the floor or window ledge all the windows have been shut. cant find where they are coming from.they just seem to appear! modern build so not air vents.
came home from work today two cans of nest killer,kitted up like a bright red action man in protective overalls mask etc, our upper level bedrooms are dorma type so crawled through inspection hatch as far as my portly body would allow me around the roof space, some quite tight.could not find anything. So how do I kill them if I cant find the nest ? can you still buy the smoke bombs that you set off in the roof.over the last two weeks we are finding around 6 to 8 a day even finding them at midnight seems unusual.
any body else having problems with wasps.?

Sponsored Links
They can enter the house through small holes such as keyholes aswell, used to get them in the kitchen through the keyhole in an outside door thats not used, I blocked the keyhole and that solved the problem if in use, one of those sliding keyhole flaps could be used.

If a private house you may get charged but the council can send a pest control expert around and spray the eaves, dont expect results for about a week, then you should end up with loads of the little blighters dead around your garden paths.

All pvcu windows and doors no gaps full property refurb seven years ago adding the beds to the roof. thats whats so annoying cant find a single hole.
even removed downlighters to ceilings to look for them.

All pvcu windows and doors no gaps full property refurb seven years ago adding the beds to the roof. thats whats so annoying cant find a single hole.
even removed downlighters to ceilings to look for them.
Did the installers fully cover and bead around the dorma windows? if not then they could get in the gaps.

Sponsored Links
Hold on, you sure you ain't got ANY ventilation bricks on the outside walls? The bottom floor usually has a void and so requires ventilation. It wouldn't be the first 'modern build' :rolleyes: that has been 'finished' without any ventilation! There are BS however that negate this depending on the particular specs.

We had the same problem a few years back. Finding wasps walking across the floor (we had a baby who was crawling at the time too!!!). The wasps were getting in through the air vents. I had to place nets over ours but DO NOT do this to yours before you are sure of any ventilation requirements of any gas appliances you may have. You may well solve you wasp problem but end up dead with CO poisoning! :(

Thank you blasphemous. but i will not be killing any body this week as I am a rgi :LOL: also own the building and window co that did all my work. this is the annoying thing I know the construction is fine in all areas. just cant find the nest. the floors were formed with attic trusses, lower floor block and beam. then basement under that. tried to get the wife to crawl further through the roof but she was having none of it ;) failing that looks like a job for renta kill.

Thank you blasphemous. but i will not be killing any body this week as I am a rgi :LOL: also own the building and window co that did all my work. this is the annoying thing I know the construction is fine in all areas. just cant find the nest. the floors were formed with attic trusses, lower floor block and beam. then basement under that. tried to get the wife to crawl further through the roof but she was having none of it ;) failing that looks like a job for renta kill.
Sorry wms :oops: better safe than sorry though eh? Well you know as well as all of us, they have got to be getting in somewhere. Who installed the Aerial, Sky, Cable etc? Is it possible that the holes drilled through for the coaxial and other cables are wide enough to allow wasp access? Had any security lighting/cameras installed? The roof space is the obvious one so I understand your thinking along those lines. Just trying to think of all the possibilities mate.

Wasps dislike the smell of petrol and diesel. Leave either lying about and they will move on. Apparently petrol is best but diesel still works and is much less of a fire hazard.

Sponsored Links
Back