Wasps entering through soffits - possible nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed today wasps entering and leaving the soffit of my house. I had a good look around the loft but couldn't find any wasps or nests - I couldn't see the area above the soffit as it was too awkward to access.
Wasps don't bother me in general so I'm wondering if it's ok to leave them or is it best to get rid? The only concern I have is if they are causing damage to the soffit area? Is that possible? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They gnaw rotten wood to build the nest. You may have a roof leak.

Wait until frosty weather when the loft is freezing cold before you investigate.

Yeah I'd rather prevent any potential damage. I'm assuming underneath the soffit will be wood which they'll be gnawing on? I know the council can get rid of nests but wondering if I'm too late as they'll be dying off soon & they don't use the same nest twice?

Repairing the leak and rot (if any) is probably more important.

Sponsored Links
House is only 3.5 yrs old & no evidence of any leaks or rot tbh.

As you are already aware, they are dying off ..I had them in the soffits of my new summer house 2 yrs ago, I just sealed the gaps up at the end of the season.

Wondering whether to pop to b&q tomorrow to get some powder to puff up there.

If you can leave them be.

A lot of fuss is being made about bees right now, and them being pollenators.

Well wasps are even better pollenators than bees, wasps eat all the little aphids in the garden keeping plants free of them.
Yes some ant powder will despatch the whole nest full pretty sharpish and for way less than the council charge.
However, if they are not doing you any harm then do you really need to kill them?

If your house is quite new then there is unlikely to be rotten wood for them to gnaw.

upload_2021-8-16_11-17-49.png

Ended up getting a wasp removal guy out today - he reckoned there was 2 nests (both on different sides of the house). Used a bulb duster tool to apply the powder & touch wood when I checked tonight there was no wasps around the soffits. Makes me wonder if I should invest in a bulb duster & powder & try it myself next time. Only took him 15 mins.

Cut one of those large pop bottles in half, about 1/3 down from the spout, so it can be inserted in the bottom 2/3 upside down. Throw the cap away and put some jam or honey around the outside thread of the spout and water in the bottom section. The jam will attract them in and once in they cannot get out and will drown in the water.

The powder they use has the same stuff in (Deltamethrin ) as ant powder that's available from the supermarket for about £2, for a similar amount you can get a duster.
A simple squirt (wear a mask yourself) at the point of entry and entering wasps will carry it into the rest of the nest.

When I did it on my chimney we spent the rest of the evening listening to ping, ping, ping as they fell down onto the back of the fire - problem sorted.

That was then, now I leave them be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back