Waste Disposals

Having experience of one, doesn't mean its OK.

Aye, but dispels the myth of it always being a bad thing. ;)

And trust me, rinsing detergents down the drain is worse than not. Most of what is in the tab/pouch/box is to make up weight, and that forms a lovely cake with the grease, ski, hair rice, pasta chunks all things that are not minced up by maceration and also less likely (Tony "Agile" Glazer style generalization here) your average North European pensioner is likely to be cooking.

Hey! We cooked too...

On the plus side, it comes with copious quantities of ruddy hot water, followed by a rinse in even more hot water, which I think outweighs the filler in the dishwasher detergent.

Aside: auto-dosing liquid detergent machines are nice (and the future) but priced absurdly high at present.

Washing machine, dishwasher and water softener all have their own separate traps. Although the boiler does share the softener's.

Why?

Fed up with traps getting clogged by other appliance's shoite.

OT, but...

I assume that boiler needs to share (or have one of them sillycone things) as it'll dry out otherwise?

I'd probably have dishwasher share the waste disposal trap for flushing as described, and the WM all on its own. In the f**king shed where it can make a noise to its heart's content. :LOL:

Which traps do you prefer, out of interest?

Do the CH / HW / CW draincocks and the condensate/PRVs also exit to internal drains/traps? (seen that done on a friend's house and thought it spot-on from a commissioning/maintenance point of view)

Sponsored Links
We've just inherited an ISE 55 after a house move. The instructions recommend you to use small bones and fruit pips to help clean it and a bit of childish experimentation shows it can handle pretty much any food waste we can throw at it. It's ~7+ years old and still going great.

Can't see us actually using it much though as we have a compost bin that also came with the house - the stuff we can't put in the compost bin (cooked meats for example) won't be going down the drain either as in my experience, it's the fatty stuff like this that causes local blockages over time. Fat is in my experience the biggest cause of local household blockages.

My biggest issue with the ISE is having to run constant cold water through them when in use - not very green and certainly doesn't help my water metre!

YMMV.

Have had a waste disposer for the past 30+ years (only 2 in that entire period). Always considered Insinkerator to be the best but you only get what you pay for - and they tend to be the more expensive.

IMHO you need a powerful motor (half horsepower minimum). The cheaper ones just don't cut it. You also need to be aware what can't go down them, fibrous stuff such as onions, banana skins, tea bags etc. But ours will happily deal with chicken bones, veg peelings and pretty much anything we can throw at it. Also never use corrosive cleaners (bleach etc) as it will destroy the bearings.

Never had any blockage issues. Always use cold running water when disposing waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back