Waste Disposals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the rats with bits-of-food-in-sink and would like to fit a disposal unit.

Various flavours are available from 60 quid upwards:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/kitchen-waste-disposal-by-4064-0000

All will handle lettuce leaves. Will the cheapies handle carrot ends, broccoli stalks, pepper centres etc? How about celery and potato peels? Will the more expensive ones handle bones, or will they all struggle?

I guess I'm asking if the ISE all singing all dancing "covercontrol" units are materially better than toolstation's cheapest continuous feed units? I've not seen either in person (only an old ISE Badger that the paernts have had for 30 years)

http://www.genuineapplianceparts.co...Cover_Control_Food_Waste_Disposer/1391/c53m43

Sponsored Links
I'd say that they are actually worse than saniflos. At least a saniflo is chucking stuff down the drains that is meant to go down there. These waste disposal things are chucking stuff that should be composted or binned down the drains, clogging them up and causing hassle at the treatment works. All because someone is too idle to manage their waste properly.

Sponsored Links
Nothing like answering the question, eh? :rolleyes:

"Sorry, I've no clue but I don't like working on the things when hooked up to drains with inadequate fall/flow" doesn't sound clever enough or what?

FWIW, HM Govt haven't done their numbers on food waste disposals yet. Binning food is bad - massive methane emissions from landfills is the result. Composting the de-minimus quantity of leftovers is at best a pain in the backside and at worst impossible (city dwelling flats) or an environmental abomination (burning diesel/sending trucks to collect it). Sending it to the sewage works along with the turds is actually pretty efficient. The privatised utilities dislike this though, for exactly the same reason that they dislike separate sewers (one for turds, one for greywater, one for rainwater). Not because they're an inefficient way to do things (they're far better) but because provision of them will cost the utilities money/the cost to them is higher even if the societal cost is lower. Hence the bovine excrement they expouse. (fats/oils/greases are a different story)

-because I've not seen any model other than an ISE Badger in person

-unlike the amount of diesel chewed by bin trucks, methane spewed by landfills, or investment not made by sewage firms, nobody has completed and published the research for you

-I've no shame in admitting as such and asking where I haven't a clue

-it's cheaper to ask here on the offchance somebody knows about waste disposals than it is to buy the wrong one and learn the hard way

Perhaps if you saw the state of the waste pipes downstream these stupid things you would understand that our comments are not without foundation.

They are pointless and daft.

Whether on a drain with decent fall or not.

There... is that clever enough for you?[/quote]

Better qualified Dan. You don't like working on downstream plumbing, which you have known to clog, and you can't see the point in the device. Understood.

However as the parents have never had trouble in 30 years it isn't a concern of mine. We're not the type to rinse fat/oil/grease down the drain mind - and the dishwasher outlet was plumbed into the disposal and thus flushed it and all downstream pipework regularly with >50C drainwater w/detergent.

I'll hazard a guess than blocked ones you've seen weren't plumbed that way and were mainly clogged with FOG rather than food. ;)

I have fitted 4 insinkerators in the last year or so and they work ok, I have also removed about 7 and probably another 5-6 other brands and replaced with basket strainers. I agree they are not a good idea, but peoples gets what peoples wants :p i run a business not an advisory service :cool:

Most were installed as per the regs, some better than others.

Having experience of one, doesn't mean its OK.

I got 143mph out of my car without crashing once. Doesn't make it safe, or a god idea to repeat.

And trust me, rinsing detergents down the drain is worse than not. Most of what is in the tab/pouch/box is to make up weight, and that forms a lovely cake with the grease, ski, hair rice, pasta chunks all things that are not minced up by maceration and also less likely (Tony "Agile" Glazer style generalization here) your average North European pensioner is likely to be cooking.

Downstream plumbing? Hesni hate it, but thankfully what I am responsible for is fitted well Or the repairs are charged well,.

Just done the secodnfix of my kitchen.

4" out of the ground. 2" tee accepting 1½ on one branch for the utility room and kitchen on the other.

Washing machine, dishwasher and water softener all have their own separate traps. Although the boiler does share the softener's.

Why?

Fed up with traps getting clogged by other appliance's shoite.

But then what do I know?

I only do this for a living.... you're free to do what you please ;)

I have fitted 4 insinkerators in the last year or so and they work ok, I have also removed about 7 and probably another 5-6 other brands and replaced with basket strainers. I agree they are not a good idea, but peoples gets what peoples wants :p i run a business not an advisory service :cool:

Indeed I have fitted an few - unstuck even more ;). Good little earner that one :LOL:

This kind of debate is similar to the flueless Gas fire though. Any minute I am expecting PeterPrickStop to chime is saying that no insinkerator has ever caused a draught :LOL:

Well , installed an ISE back in 2001 in my own house , never a problem with blockages etc , only problem was when the wife dropped the cutlery down the disposal , not only was it jammed solid but she kept on emptying food down there. :rolleyes:

We had a waste disposal when growing up , and yea I remember me ole man fishing the bent spoons and forks out the disposer :LOL: , running hot water when using the disposer generally won't give any problems.

(sorry Dan ;))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back