Waste & Hot/Cold Feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a bathroom installer from Wikes doing an install. This bathroom has cost is 10k and we are not happy with some of the answers he is giving us regarding what we want. We have brought a wall hung vanity and want the waste and the hot and cold water feed hidden. I have asked the question if these could be hidden in the metal frame stud work instead of having box work as that defeats the object of a wall hung vanity. Can you run the pipework through a metal studwork cavity wall? He told us the metal framework is not the best to cut holes into. If this is the case then fair enough. But I get the impression he is just fobbing us off. Surely a metal studwork is the same as wooden studwork and can be cut with a drill hole saw? I think the cavity width is 50mm.
Also we brought a low profile shower tray and he has told us the only way it can be installed is by way of legs raising the tray off of the floor. This is not what we wanted. Can the 40mm waste be routed through wooden joists?
If the products we purchased are not suitable for our requirements why have Wikes allowed us to purchase these products.
I have attached the technical sheet for the shower tray and a screen shot of the vanity.
Thank you in advance for your responses.

Attachments

• Level-25-fitting-instructions-1 (1).pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20210220-145419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-145419_Chrome.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Most of them already have service apartures in them just or pushouts ready exactly for this. Those that don't then holes can be cut on site upto a sensible size limit (standard is 38x75).

You should also only really pass one pipe is through each apature in the metal framework. If you can't for whatever reason, you should use a proprietary pipe restraint clips or other means of keeping the pipes apart, to prevent vibration noise which will be very noticeable on metal studs.

There can be valid reasons why the low profile tray could not be fitted, but an alternative that would fit could be sourced.

Speak to Wickes and get clarification.

The other thing you should do is to protect pipes the pipes where they go through the ceu outs with a rubber grommet or grommet strip (comes on a roll, cut to length). This prevents the metal damaging the pipework in the event of movement (including when you are drawing through)

The other thing you should do is to protect pipes the pipes where they go through the ceu outs with a rubber grommet or grommet strip (comes on a roll, cut to length). This prevents the metal damaging the pipework in the event of movement (including when you are drawing through)

Or you could run pipe in pipe using overflow pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
We have a bathroom installer from Wikes doing an install. This bathroom has cost is 10k and we are not happy with some of the answers he is giving us regarding what we want. We have brought a wall hung vanity and want the waste and the hot and cold water feed hidden. I have asked the question if these could be hidden in the metal frame stud work instead of having box work as that defeats the object of a wall hung vanity. Can you run the pipework through a metal studwork cavity wall? He told us the metal framework is not the best to cut holes into. If this is the case then fair enough. But I get the impression he is just fobbing us off. Surely a metal studwork is the same as wooden studwork and can be cut with a drill hole saw? I think the cavity width is 50mm.
Also we brought a low profile shower tray and he has told us the only way it can be installed is by way of legs raising the tray off of the floor. This is not what we wanted. Can the 40mm waste be routed through wooden joists?
If the products we purchased are not suitable for our requirements why have Wikes allowed us to purchase these products.
I have attached the technical sheet for the shower tray and a screen shot of the vanity.
Thank you in advance for your responses.

He mugging you off. But you should have went through this at the beginning.

I will also do my utmost so there is no pipes showing and no boxing with the tray on the floor.

Its not always possible.... seems to me either he is lazy or not skilled enough

Problem is Wicks are making all the money.
The installer earn small %age customer pays the price.
You're not wrong there. Thanks for the responses. I think we have dropped a *******. Hey ho what can we do?

You're not wrong there. Thanks for the responses. I think we have dropped a *******. Hey ho what can we do?

You need to be sure that he's not right but I'd go back to the salesman or woman and have it out with them.

Your right why would you pick a floating basin if you need boxing to hide the pipes.

My guess is they will have an answer for everything ( big company)

But don't beat yourself up, having a bathroom fitted, picking right and choosing the right installer is a minefield

You need to be sure that he's not right but I'd go back to the salesman or woman and have it out with them.

Your right why would you pick a floating basin if you need boxing to hide the pipes.

My guess is they will have an answer for everything ( big company)

But don't beat yourself up, having a bathroom fitted, picking right and choosing the right installer is a minefield
That's why we went to Wickes. We thought it would be a painless process
Does the design show a raised shower tray or any boxing in?

Attachments

• 16141544197107901808027388223829.jpg
    16141544197107901808027388223829.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 61
The design doesn't show any bodging like boxing in or exposed pipes.
Call a real plumber before he fits everything and puts silicone everywhere (wickes installers have unlimited supply of silicone, their favourite product which they use even on pipe joints).

The design doesn't show any bodging like boxing in or exposed pipes.
Call a real plumber before he fits everything and puts silicone everywhere (wickes installers have unlimited supply of silicone, their favourite product which they use even on pipe joints).
We've got someone coming round on Saturday. They have had to remove the shower tray as they installed it the wrong way round. Because of the profile, the waste should be on the side of the wall and of the waste is installed front facing it can't accept a shower screen. They installed it towards the front. There is now a £500 shower tray sat in the front garden. The replacement tray,the same style, is out of stock.
Un fooking believable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back