Help required regarding hidden overflow for posh sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've used this forum for reference quite a bit but only just signed up to ask this question hoping that someone can help...

So we bought a Keuco sink as part of our new bathroom. The sink has no overflow hole.
We bought the tap for the sink separately as we wanted black fixtures so we have a matt black tap.
The sink we bought was with a vanity unit and came with a Geberit Clou hidden overflow system.
The bathroom fitters looked at all the bags of plumbing stuff, said it's not right for the sink and we'd have to buy a separate unslotted click clack waste then left us to it.
I went and bought a black crosswater unslotted click clack waste.

Now I'm trying to suss out how to make this work. It's clear that what I have now won't work as the Geberit Clou hidden overflow waste system is not compatible with the click clack waste we have and the chrome waste that came with the Clou system also won't work as it's activated by a lever that you can get on some taps but which is not on our tap.

We love the look of our tap and the sink so these must remain but I'm not sure of the solution. Does someone else know of any click-clack type wastes with compatible hidden overflow like the Clou system?
The next challenge would be to get it in black. I'm sure there must be something to solve our issues but I simply can't find anything with my Internet searching.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and on a slightly different subject the bathroom fitters also left without doing the wet room shower tray so was just wondering what I should use to stick down the profile floor runner - just no more nails or similar? Then let it set then mount the glass and bathroom sealant on the corners?

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware, the stopper is concealed within the waste and is an integral part of it - you won't be able to fit any other waste (especially a click-clack type) and still use the Clou system. It also required the tap to have a push-rod slot to allow the stopper to be opened and closed.

Two mistakes, you posted in wrong section ( plumbing) and you purchased your own plumbing materials without knowledge required, a common mistake.
You would need to change the tap for a compatible one with lever access for that set up to work.

Sponsored Links
Ok cheers, so it's change the tap or forget about the Clou.
Sorry I posted in the wrong area, I did flick through and wasn't clear of which was the best place to post.
We bought most our stuff at H2O Bathroom Design Company and the sink and vanity unit came with the clou waste but since they didn't do the black tap that we told them we wanted we bought that elsewhere and it wasn't made aware to us that we needed a particular tap. Before I posted this here I actually contacted H2OBDC asking how the waste worked and they just said that the fitters should know. It's then when the fitters told us to get a click clack. Guess we'll just forget about the Clou then. It's in a wetroom on the lower floor anyway so worst case scenario that tap is left on with plug closed for a long period most would go down the shower drain I s'pose and it would be contained in the bathroom.

How come the fitters have left if they haven't finished the job or were they only contracted to certain things?

what stupidity is this? To have a sink without an overflow?
I hope your floor is well tiled.

Our bathroom is now 2 rooms knocked into one and the old floor including joists needed replacing and there was brickwork to do. Since my dad is a bricklayer me and him stripped out the old bathroom, replaced the floor, got first fix plumbing in place while we were under the floor and fitted the new toilet and cistern in place (for practicality) as well as changing the drains (groundwork) outside and since we live in a bungalow we vaulted the bathroom ceiling and fitted a velux window. We also cut channels in the brick walls to hide pipework and had our electrician come out for first fix (he was also doing second fix later so they had no electrical work to do).
The fitters charged an absolute fortune, worked out at over £200/day each for the three of them (and one was an apprentice) which we would have been happy paying if it was up to scratch, but it wasn't. £3490 for 5 days work and we supplied all fittings and most matetials (except silicone I think is all we forgot). There were several mistakes in the linear shower tray enveloping which we did not see when they were doing it as it was covered over with materials and tools.
The shower screen was late arriving, but we did have the profile pack to mount it and I'd asked them to do that as well as drill all holes required for the toilet roll holder, towel rail and some hooks. They did not fit the sink because they did not realise what the Clou was. We're not plumbers and didn't have a clue, we were just sold the sink with hidden overflow, not knowing we needed to get a specific type of tap so when the bathroom fitters said "we can't fit the sink cos it's the wrong type of waste, this is for sink with overflow so you need to buy an unslotted waste and click-clack plug" we just went online and ordered a click clack plug in black. They said they had to go to another job and said it's easy peasy to fit the sink so I should be able to do it myself when it comes, (which I'm very capable of doing so with the right equipment).
Anyway they finished that week while we were away for a couple of days and came back on the Monday for £3490 payment.
We had seen that the tiling was wrong by this point and the linear drain was wonky (2mm gap on the top left and 9mm gap at the bottom right), some chips in the tile edges where they'd cut them, some of the lines were not streight and height diffences between tiles. This was just in the enveloping of the hidden shower tray, the rest looked good, however in a 5m2 room with 900x1300 shower area, this is quite noticeable.
Now I hate complaining, that's my wife's job, but she was at work when they came for the money and I brought up the problems with the enveloping and the drain to which they said since it's too late/expensive to fix they'd knock £50 off (earlier in the week they'd asked if they could have my massive old metal boiler tank as we'd just had the boiler changed - I was gunna weigh it in for scrap but the lads seemed canny so I said yeah sure since they said they had a use for it, on after thought I think they were probably weighing it in so perhaps that was the £50 they were offering). I said £50 wasn't good enough and I'd need to speak to my wife but all I was prepared to pay them for now was £3000 until we got a second opinion on the enveloping just in case we were going OTT so I payed them that and they left.
I contacted them a few days later after speaking to H2O and porcelanosa (where the bathroom and tiles came from) and to another tiler who all agreed that they'd went wrong with fitting the linear shower tray and the solution would cost thousands (the tray alone was £495 and the tiles about £90/m2). By this point I'd had a look at the Clou system that they said was for an overflow waste and worked out how it all goes together and that it was the hidden overflow but we had the wrong type of tap (hense how I ended up posting here hoping for a solution where we wouldn't have to change taps!) and I'd realised that the waste where it comes out the wall had to be a minimum of 10cm lower for the Clou to work. This area was all tiled and the waste pipework all hidden in the wall. I asked Makeover Bathrooms (the fitters) if they could come back, move the waste, drill the holes they didn't drill and finish the shower screen (which I'd already actually paid for these things to be done and it's written on the quote) and they basically said they'd only come back if we paid them the other £440 and since we had no intention of doing so they weren't gunna do anything else.
Now this company has a great website with testimonials and lots of nice pictures, and out bathroom looks great if you're not looking at the shower area and they offer a 24 month guarantee on workmanship which is why we went for them, plus they live 5mins away.
Yesterday I discovered that the bath is leaking too! Its all tiled around the edges but we are getting water coming out of a small hole in the sealant on the floor around the foot of the bath. Aaaargh! I think I may be done with having anyone else do work on my house. I'm gunna have to lift the floor in the kitchen today and crawl across to the other side of the house to get under the bath to see if I can see anything as there's no access from the side of the bath without breaking tiles. We got bathroom fitters in cos I didn't have time for all of this!

As for the pop up waste on the sink with no overflow. I'm not happy about it but it's gunna cost a bomb to get another tap if we can find one in black and it would mean changing the waste and like I said the area is tiled now so it is not easily doable. I think when we have people stay we will just literally pull out the plug so that you can't fill the sink. We never leave the sink tap on anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back