1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Waste Pipe (40mm) Through External Wall

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by imroberts, 19 Sep 2021.

1. imroberts

imroberts

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm about to fit some 40mm waste pipe which needs to run through an external wall.

My intention is to core drill a 52mm hole through the wall and use a PipeSnug on the outside for a nice appearance.

My question is once I've come through the wall and fitted an elbow on the pipe, it looks like the resultant perpendicular will be further away from the wall than the pipe clips allow. I'm fairly sure the elbow won't fit inside a 52mm hole to pull the pipe closer to the wall?

Am I right? What do people do in this situation? I'm aware a lot of people would just break out half a break and fill it with cement afterwards but I'm looking for a much neater job than that :)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. RandomGrinch

RandomGrinch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would have thought the ends of a 40mm solvent weld elbow should easily fit in a 52mm hole?

Last edited: 19 Sep 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bouy

Bouy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Know what you mean, my plumber liked banana shaped waste pipes, sorted it by putting a couple of spaces pieces in, can't remember what I actually used but you get the idea

ggg.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RandomGrinch

RandomGrinch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yup, I've done the same for my main soil pipe with some aluminium tubes as stand offs. I've also used two 45° bends to bring a 50mm pipe out closer to the soil pipe.
    Not the prettiest, but it works!
    20210919_193318.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. imroberts

imroberts

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah yes. I was thinking of push-fit but looking at solvent weld fittings I think you're right about them fitting.

7. imroberts

imroberts

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Haha, I already have some banana shaped waste pipes on my house which I intend to sort out at some point.

Your solution looks nice and neat and means I can stick with push-fit which would be preferable I think. I've just had a look on ebay and you can get nylon spacers in pretty much any diameter and length so that may be the way I go.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Elkato531

Elkato531

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't use push fit especially externally. The pipe degrades with exposure to UV much quicker than solvent weld pipe and really needs protection if used outdoors. Solvent weld is not difficult to use and will give you a much better looking and more permanent solution.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links