Waste Pipe (40mm) Through External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit some 40mm waste pipe which needs to run through an external wall.

My intention is to core drill a 52mm hole through the wall and use a PipeSnug on the outside for a nice appearance.

My question is once I've come through the wall and fitted an elbow on the pipe, it looks like the resultant perpendicular will be further away from the wall than the pipe clips allow. I'm fairly sure the elbow won't fit inside a 52mm hole to pull the pipe closer to the wall?

Am I right? What do people do in this situation? I'm aware a lot of people would just break out half a break and fill it with cement afterwards but I'm looking for a much neater job than that :)

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the ends of a 40mm solvent weld elbow should easily fit in a 52mm hole?

Last edited:
Know what you mean, my plumber liked banana shaped waste pipes, sorted it by putting a couple of spaces pieces in, can't remember what I actually used but you get the idea

ggg.jpg

Know what you mean, my plumber liked banana shaped waste pipes, sorted it by putting a couple of spaces pieces in, can't remember what I actually used but you get the idea

View attachment 244540
Yup, I've done the same for my main soil pipe with some aluminium tubes as stand offs. I've also used two 45° bends to bring a 50mm pipe out closer to the soil pipe.
Not the prettiest, but it works!
20210919_193318.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the ends of a 40mm solvent weld elbow should easily fit in a 52mm hole?
Ah yes. I was thinking of push-fit but looking at solvent weld fittings I think you're right about them fitting.

Know what you mean, my plumber liked banana shaped waste pipes, sorted it by putting a couple of spaces pieces in, can't remember what I actually used but you get the ideaView attachment 244540
Haha, I already have some banana shaped waste pipes on my house which I intend to sort out at some point.

Your solution looks nice and neat and means I can stick with push-fit which would be preferable I think. I've just had a look on eBay and you can get nylon spacers in pretty much any diameter and length so that may be the way I go.

I wouldn't use push fit especially externally. The pipe degrades with exposure to UV much quicker than solvent weld pipe and really needs protection if used outdoors. Solvent weld is not difficult to use and will give you a much better looking and more permanent solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back