Waste Pipe Arrrgghhh!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting in a new shower room upstairs, all was going well untill it was time to put in a waste pipe for the shower Arrrggghhhh!

See the picture ... Blue lines are the stud walls The room is all built now these are old pics!

Original plan was to put a hole (number 2) in the floor and run the pipe to the left hand wall and join the soil pipe outside but see the thick red line, thats the full height double joist that supports the hips, cant get by that without notching.

Aha i thought, if i come the other side of the triple joist supporting the stair, i can run the pipe out the rear of the house to join the other soil pipe. to no avail once i found this photo because of the double support.

Can anyone suggest another route or possibility looking at this problem

[/img][/url]

Sponsored Links
thats already a double joist spanning approx 5 m. Do you mean notch it and put in some extra support??

thats already a double joist spanning approx 5 m. Do you mean notch it and put in some extra support??

Yes,

Is the joist you mean that little red line at the back of the picture?

Use a hole saw just big enough for what you need, drill it in the middle or lower down ( depending on fall you need)

Then, if you feel you need to, (I problaby wouldn't as you already say it's doubled up) add another piece of the same wood as support where the hole is.

Sponsored Links
Thanks XR,

any other thoughts or suggestions .... Cutting a hole might be the only option but it's outwith the recommended distances for a hole

Yes, given the span of the joist the position of the required hole would be too close to the middle of the joist and therefore weaken it.

This is following the guidance issued on the size and position of notches and holes in joists.

What about raising the shower base then running the waste along the wall with boxing?

What about raising the shower base then running the waste along the wall with boxing?

First thing I thought of but that wall has the door in it, the opposite wall leads to front of the house with no waste pipes so I would end up wrapping the house in waste pipe lol.

I think I'm on to something though, looking at the guidance, if I use 32mm pipe (not ideal) I can cut a notch out of the joist for option 1 (just) and be within 'safe limits'.

Just finalising the measurements lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back