Waste pipe behind machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a completely new kitchen with w/m and d/w in new positions. Told plumber where the machines were going and left him to it. He has installed trapped standpipes and water supply pipes for each machine directly behind where the machines are going. As the kitchen fitter and separate kitchen supplier have both said, the machines won't fit into this space as they'll be proud of the worktop, not enough front to back room. You also won't be able to turn off the supply without moving the machine. Installation instructions also state this.

Have rung plumber and he is coming back but he was a bit arsey about it and said this is the first time he's heard this.

I'm just looking for some support so I can argue the toss with him and not have to shell out any more money for him to rectify the problem. It's already held the kitchen fitter up. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes the kitchen fitter/supplier is correct. It is very bad practise to fit the supplies and drains behind an appliance. This especially becomes a problem if the appliance is integrated (built-in).

I always install appliances with the isolation valves in an accessible posistion, and the drain connection accessible. How else can I make sure all connections are watertight. Yes, I know the flexible supply hoses can be tested with the machine out of posistion. Very rarely will the drain hose be long enough to reach the trap (standpipe) while the machine is out of posistion. Thus it would be awkward if not impossible, when the machine is in posistion and the trap fitted behind, to check/test the trap for leaks.

Also as you pointed out the instructions state that the supply taps/valves should be in an accessible posistion so that the machine can be isolated (from the water source) once the user has finished using it. Of course no-one ever does turn off the water to machines, though all manufactures suggest you should.

If the plumber has fitted appliances before, then he/she should know all this. Even if the instructions were not available at the time of 1st or 2nd fixing the plumbing, any plumber worth their salt should know not to install services behind an appliance.

I would get plumber back to rectify. And not pay, till the job is put right. Unfortunately if you have already paid the plumber he/she may not want to come back and rectify. However if you haven't paid yet, then don't until you are happy with the job.

Hope that helps.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks very much for that. He did come back and sort it out without charging me extra but I don't think he was very happy about it!

I'll know for next time anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back