Waste pipe diameter

I

imamartian

I'm not bragging, but mine is 36.3mm in diameter:cool:

I know the standard sizes are 32mm (1.25") and 40mm (1.5"), but my existing pipe equates to one and seven sixteenths of an inch !!
Is this an old size? or a foreign import?

I'm replacing the basin and want to re-route the waste. What are my options? I haven't cut into it yet, but my hope is that a 32mm pipe will fit inside it. If it doesn't then i don't think a 40mm compression fitting will be secure enough. I have see these:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101708&ts=77934&id=29220
is this my best option?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can change the lot, fittings and all for less than £10 and you will know there are no blockages. ;)

sorry i didn't explain myself fully.... i am replacing it all but it's the fitting into the soil stack. Do i need a strap on boss (not sure that's gonna get by the moderators :eek: ) ?

i was going to leave about 6inch of the pipe into the stack and feed the 32mm into that.

Sponsored Links
don't mind too much about how it looks, i'm boxing it in.

Am i understanding the sizes correctly? could i get a 'boss' to reduce 36mm to 32mm?

or is 36mm the 'old' equivalent of 32mm - i've just noticed some print on the elbow - it's a Marley fitting and has 1.25" on it and also the number 34 which guess mean 34mm?

thanks

I don't know if they do a boss insert of 36 mm, they are normally 32 or 40mm.

Still not sure why you are going down this route. :confused:

Fit a new strap on boss to your stack and feed your 32 mm into it job done.

How is the existing waste fixed to your stack?

I'm perhaps misleading you...

I currently have a corner sink, a trap, two 90deg elbows and 2' of pipe into a boss pipe in the stack. The 2' of pipe has an external diameter of 36.3mm.

I am replacing the sink, and re-routing the pipe, but entering the stack via the same boss. All the fiitings i've bought are 32mm and will run from my new basin, but at some point i have to merge with the exising pipe or the boss....

Sorry if i haven't been clear :)

Go to a pumbers merchant and they should have a compression fitting that will do the job. :D

I've just cut the pipe and it justs fits in a 32mm compression... so i'm sorted....

Thanks for your help Bahco..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back