Waste pipe - drilling and connecting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

First time plumber looking for some advice please. I have enclosed 2x pictures to help flesh out my descriptions.
On the rear of our building, there is a horizontal waste pipe (pictured) which runs from an upstairs bathroom, across the rear of the house and connects to the soil stack.

Around halfway across this horizontal pipe, there is a connector (pictured) which it's possible to rotate whilst in-situ. This has 3x connection options, which are currently blanked off. (Not sure what the technical term is for this type of pipe connector / segment). This was fitted with the intention of it later being hooked up to the utility room, which is other side of orange brick, sited directly behind this connector and pictured.

My goal is to drill a hole in the orange brick to allow for a washing machine waste pipe to exit the structure and connect directly into this part of the pipe.

Questions:

1 - To avoid "blowing the face off" the outer bricks, it's advised that I drill the hole from out to in. At present, there is no room for this to occur, can I (indeed, SHOULD I?) possibly wiggle the segment of pipe with the attachments, out of it's position, to allow room for me to drill? It seems like a bad idea, as this pipe is connected to shower, sink and toilet and will likely cause some offence when opened. The alternate option is to drill from in to out and not worry about the brick work, as it will be mostly concealed behind the pipe.

2 - Should I drill somewhere else eg. above the orange brick? This will make it difficult to achieve the right angle on the pipes inside the utility room.

3 - How should I connect the waste pipe that eventually protrudes from the brickwork, onto/into this waste pipe? And are there any considerations about which of the 3x ports I should use? (In the picture, 2x ports can be seen pointing directly at the orange brick and skywards, there is a 3rd port / option facing the floor/ground)

Many thanks for any help / advice that anyone can offer! Very much appreciated :)

Kind regards.

Attachments

• Outdoor_Pipe_01.jpg
    Outdoor_Pipe_01.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Outdoor_Pipe_02.jpg
    Outdoor_Pipe_02.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Personally I'd remove the centre fitting use a long 8 or 10mm bit to drill all the way through into the utility then core drill it outside in for about an inch then core drill the rest from the inside.

I wouldn't worry about the smell from the pipe it soon disappears and you won't have it open that long.

Doesn't matter which port you use, you just need an adapter for the 40mm to fit into it.

I would be looking at coming through the wall above the existing soil branch. Trying to get a hole cored through in exactly the right place to get a horizontal connection into the Boss will be extremely difficult I think. My worry is, if there's any stress on the Boss Adaptor, especially in the horizontal plane, you greatly increase the chances of a leak, either when the washing machine is discharging, the upstream WC is flushed or both.

If you come out above, you've some wiggle room.

Many thanks for your contributions gents.
I'm attempting this over the weekend so I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm leaning towards your recommendation Hugh - and intend to drill one full course above the orange brick, I think you're correct and this gives more margin for error.

Sponsored Links
One tip to avoid blowing the face off the brick, is to drill a pilot hole all the way through with a small drill bit, then core through the wall from either side, using small hole as your guide. Both sides should line up then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back