Combined waste pipe best practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a first floor flat and I am about to embark on plumbing in the sink, washing machine and dishwashers waste pipes. There is currently no hole in the wall so having purchased a 40mm core drill bit to feed a 40mm pipe through the wall.

As I am on a first floor flat do I need to fit any traps?

I am planning on using separate stand pipes for the two appliances over spigots having read previous threads here and I guess it's as simple to attach a p trap as not so they will be fitted even though there is minimal risk of any foul smells due to the waste pipe feeding into a hopper in a n open system.

The sink (Blanco) came with two waste sets - one is a space saver for connecting the two bowls to a single waste (with no trap), and the other is a spigot "set" with a p trap which would only connect one bowl. Of course there at not enough connectors to connect everything so I was planning on using the space saver, run the downpipe inside the flat to the floor, fit a t piece to connect the two standpipes and then along the horizontal fit another t piece to connect to the outside world. i.e. there will be one hole for the combined waste.

Is this best practice or should I try to keep as many connections outside and instead drill 3 holes, one for each of the wastes and connect them into a horizontal run (albeit at 1-2% down)? The drill bit is TCT as opposed to diamond so not sure how difficult it will be drilling through a cavity wall (I have a 700watt SDS drill).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back