Waste pipe hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to create a 43mm hole in the breezeblock and brick outside wall of my kitchen so that i can move the waste pipe from the sink. What sort of tool do I need to do this as I'm certain that my basic hammer drill is not up to the task.

Sponsored Links
You get a pro to do it for you, probably work out cheaper than buying the tools.

You need a bit like Lee has detailed, also a SDS drill about 800-1000watt with a safety clutch.

The internal block will be fairly soft & you could just cut out half an external facing brick, all of which can be done with a cold chisel & 2lb club/lump hammer. That'd be your cheapest option.............. ;)

Sponsored Links
You need a big drill :rolleyes:

Your choice really.

A TCT (Tungsten Carbide Tip) drill is fairly cheap and can be used in a hammer drill with enough oomph to drive it. Biggest downside is that you tend to blow the back out just as you can do with a regular impact drill - ie you get so far through and then the back of the block flies off. If it's soft internal block then you can cut half way through the outside block from the inside and probably avoid that. The (smaller) ones I bought from this place also aren't that deep - so they won't go through a 4" block in one go.
And of course, just like regular impact drilling, it makes a lot of noise.

A diamond core drill probably does a neater job - you aren't using impact to cut. This is important, you do NOT use these as impact drills, you use them without impact and the diamonds do all the cutting (thousands of tiny diamonds, each taking tiny cuts). They must be kept well cooled/lubricated with water or you will burn off the diamonds very quickly.

In terms of what to drive it with, for infrequent DIY use you can get some SDS drills quite cheaply these days - such as some of these. The Duratool stuff is "OK" for light DIY use, but just don't go fooling yourself that it's going to be equal to the better Pro stuff. Get some chisels and they are quite useful for chasing out for sockets and stuff as well.

But it all comes down to how much space you have to store stuff, and how much you are likely to use it. If you won't have any further use, then willsgas has the right advice - get someone to do it while they are in the area and it won't cost you much. Just have the position marked and power ready, they'll be able to make that hole for you in a few minutes.

Thanks for all the advise. It looks like getting someone in might be the best option after all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back