Waste pipe leak w/ picture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OAMcNaAdh

If you cant see the photo try this link please: http://bayimg.com/OAMcNaAdh

I bought an Ikea Udden sink console and am trying to fit its grey waste hose to the origional white waste pipe that comes out of the wall.

I have used a pipe coupling to join the waste hose to the white waste pipe but it did not fit perfectly to make a water tight fit, so I used some Marley Solvent Cement KS2 to bond the joint. But now it is leaking a small amount at both ends of the coupling.

There is a lot of tension in the grey waste hose which puts too much pressure on the joint. I think this is why it is leaking. You can see I have had to use a brown box at the bottom of the picture to prop up the waste hose so that it bends enough not to sag.

I am only a novice and am unsure what is the right way to join the hose to the pipe.

I was thinking of "packing" the coupling with some sort of liquid pipe compound to make the joint tight and solid so that it can withstand the pressure the tight bend in the waste hose is putting on it and not leak

Sponsored Links
I'd bin that cr*p and fit a descent mcalpine trap etc.

Who fitted that ? same bloke that fitted your tap supplies.
laughingchimp.gif

Get a descent waste trap.
424901-ab0-00co_full.jpg

And a descent 90mm waste/overflow.
lrgscalesinglebowl.jpg

If the coupling doesn't fit the pipe, then it's the wrong coupling for the pipe.

Push-fit and solvent-weld waste pipes are made out of different plastics, so solvent-weld adhesive won't work on push-fit pipe. They are made slightly different sizes to help stop anyone from trying.

Likewise, the flexible pipe in the other end of your coupling is an unknown plastic, and may not suit solvent weld.

A universal compression fitting will unite the different materials properly, but I agree with seco - bin that device, and fit a proper waste trap.

Shortening the section of pipe sticking out the wall will help relieve some of the load from springing the flexi so tightly, but you would probably need to enlarge the hole in the wall, and push the coupling into the cavity to get it sitting right, and that isn't a good idea either!

Sponsored Links
You've tried to join two incompatible pipes. If you haven't destroyed them with the solvent weld you may get away with something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-compression-waste-straight-coupling-40mm/11980[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replys all.

I have bought the universal-compression-waste-straight-coupling-40mm that swbjackson suggested and it fits the white waste pipe. But it does not fit the grey ikea waste hose properly. It is the right size (40mm) but it does not lock in when the coupling is tightened.

Is there a sealent product I can use? I could use a totally new waste/overflow like seco services said but I would rather just use something to make the join nice and solid.

This why I don't use Ikea plumbing fittings, you are better off buying all new, you will spend more time and money messing around! Just bite the bullet and start again! Listen to the sound advice given! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back