Waste Pipe modifications to add Toilet/Basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, apologies for the awful picture quality, it's a low light shot photoshopped so you can see anything at all lol.

wastepipe-1.jpg

This is a shot of our waste pipe, directly upstairs is the bathroom, to the left of this is a downstairs cloakroom I've been working on.

The cloakroom toilet is approximately 1.5m to the left behind a stud wall. The red lines are the approximate floor height in the cloakroom (and will be the finished floor height in this shot too eventually).

Am I correct in my assumption that the only bit that I can modify to add the connections for the toilet and basin is the grey bit? There doesn't seem to be a lot (if any) fall to take the waste to the pipe, and it looks (in my opinion) that I'd have to cut into the red portion to get the fall required.

Assuming it's going to be a faff on to do myself, would connecting the waste for the toilet and basin be particularly difficult for a plumber?

I've debated the idea of getting a Saniflow and using that to connect up to the pipe as is with no modifications, but that seems a tad wasteful for the sake of less than a couple of metres of distance from toilet to pipe.

Any opinions folks?

Sponsored Links
Is that a push-fit coupling on the top of the red pipe? Would replacing this with a wc branch give you the required fall?

I'd avoid a Saniflo like the plague....

Struggling to tell form the pic, but that looks like its 110mm plastic soil into 110mm plastic underground. Assuming this is the case then I doubt it would be difficult to lower the collar slightly to accept a soil branch for the new W.C., and graft a piece of soil pipe in above it using a slip coupling. (Getting rid of the blanked off boss pipe in the process.)

Needs about 35-40mm of fall over 1.5m, so looks quite achievable, shouldnt be a big job for a plumber to do.

It looks as though the grey pipe is a full moulded piece, including the section with the cap. I cant see any gaps. It appears to be pushed tight into the red piece.

To me it looks like to get any sort of downward slope, however slight, the pipe from the toilet entering the main waste would have to join slightly in the red section of pipe (both plastic btw), if that makes sense. Raising the floor in the toilet isn't really an option.

Is this an easy job for a plumber (a real one, not an amateur like me lol) to just cut the whole lot out (red section included) and refit something with branches for toilet and basin?

Sponsored Links
That's what I like to hear Hugh.

It's all standard modern fittings, so aye I believe it's 110mm stuff, although I'll measure up and double check.

Shouldnt be an issue size wise, 110mm plastic is a standard size and always has been. There's enough pipe available above current floor level to trim a bit off and fit a branch slightly lower if required, so cant see it presenting any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back