waste plumbing in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a new bath and sink in the bathroom, as part of the renewel I wanted to resite my sink and to do this I had to connect my sink waste in 32mm into my bath waste 40mm using a reducer.
My bath waste is about 1.75 metres run from the main waste pipe outside and my sink tee's into this waste about .50 of a metre before it goes outside

When I release the a bath full of water from the bath I get a loud gurgling noise for want of a better discription from the sink plug what have I done wrong please?

Sponsored Links
This can happen. The flow from the bath is causing a partial vacuum at the basin waste, and drawing the water from the basin trap. Some solutions are:-

Fit an air admittance valve in the basin waste.
a 32mm valve fitted to a tee just behind the trap in the basin waste.

Fit an anti-syphon trap in place of the basin trap.
These either incorporate an air admittance valve, or are designed to hold more water, so will still seal after the trap is 'drawn'

Fit a 'dry trap' that uses a membrane seal instead of a water seal.
Something like a Hep VO trap

Fit a larger tee and waste pipe downstream, say, 50mm.
The larger bore pipe reduces the velocity of the flow, so the partial vacuum isn't enough to draw the trap

thank you for that information, I will look for valves etc this week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back