Wasted Silicones & Adhesives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, over the years I must have thrown away £00's of unused silicones, sealers and adhesives because they have gone hard in the nozzle.

Has anyone found a foolproof way of preventing this?

Richard

Sponsored Links
I assume you're talking about partially used tubes. I just tape up the end of the nozzle with duct tape or take the nozzle off and replace it with an unused one.

Blocked nozzles of silicone can be cleared by taking it off and screwing a big screw up the inside and pulling the solid stuff out.

Spare nozzles come from changing the nozzle over and reusing on multi tube jobs instead of using a fresh one.

Agree with the above, but all will eventually go off as it all has a shelf life.

Sponsored Links
I tend to use an old screw just of sufficient size such that the thread screws into the nozzle and create an good seal.

Just let it go hard in the nozzle which will keep the silicone in the tube fresh. Then when ready to use again, unscrew and discard that nozzle and just screw a new one on. They are relatively pricey at around £1 for a pack of 3 but a lot cheaper that throwing good silicone away and much easier than messing around trying to prevent it hardening in the nozzle in the first place.

I have always used a nail and some clingfilm over the top of the thread - then screw the nozzle back on.

Never thought of using cling film around the thread of the tube, will give it a try next time. Never seen spare nozzles for sale where would I likely find them?

Richard

You don't buy spares simply re-use old , when the contents are solid remove with a large screw.

I buy spares, got a set of 20 on eBay. Saves having to clean out old ones, or if you cut the end off one a bit too big you can replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back