advice with removing shower screen from siliconed bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya i wonder if anyone could please advise me how to remove the glass shower panel from the wall bracket. we fit it about a year ago but i want to move it as it leaks from attached door fitting. My plan was to move it nearer the bath rather than central where it currently sits.

the door removes easily but we can't get the panel out of the bracket to get the screws out, to remove the bracket from the wall, due to the silicone inside the bracket holding the glass intact the glass intact.

i was going to buy some silicone eater and the pour it down the top of the bracket to try and eat away at the silicone but i have heard bad reviews about the silicone eater and also i have only seen it being used for things like surrounds not actually been used as an adhesive.

many thanks for reading, i look forward to any suggestions.

kind regards Dawn

Sponsored Links
A picture could help us Dawn, but there's no reason not to use a silicone eater if you can get some in......it does turn into a gooey mess though!
Its also possible to slice through silicone with a sharp blade.....great care is needed!
John :)

Wow thank you so much for your speedy reply John, i really appreciate it.
Ive posted some photos hope they help, the silicone you can see is actually from the strip seal which easily removes. .....i have put it back in sort of, when i realised i couldnt get panel out ......it was either that or go get my sledgehammer lol

Many thanks again
Dawn

//www.diynot.com/network/telmadee/albums/24518

Bit of a tricky one Dawn, but I'd remove that rubber trim and then try to slide in a Stanley knife blade to slice away as much of the gripping silicone as possible. There's a chance that the edging will gradually pull away.
However, these edging strips are likely to have been applied with considerable force at the factory, so I don't know how successful this will be, or even if an adhesive compound was originally used.
Safety wise....using sharp blades is obvious, but these glass panels will be tempered - any impact on the edge will shatter them so do take great care!
Silicone eater won't damage anything, so it could help.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your reply again John hunnie. ....it actually came in pieces i attached the edging chrome strip myself, thats the silicone im wanting to remove......i did use quite a lot and it seems solid ......picture orangutang swinging on things..... that was me trying to loosen it from the chrome strip bracket to no avail .....i shall try the stanley blade and see if it helps, thanks again

Dawn

You should be able to get a blade between to loosen the grip of the silicon, if it's chromed plastic, [wooded blade is best]if it aluminium then simple leverage should break it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back